M.2 ssd support

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavageAUS

Patron
I plan on replacing my M.2 intel 240Gb drive in my desktop pc with a NVME drive and was wondering what could be a use case for the M.2 on my server? Yes I have 1 M.2 slot on my board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdragon75

Wizard
Yes it will work just like any other block device. How do you plan to use it? It won't magically make your system faster. In most cases, a SLOG or L2ARC are not helpful and can even slow things down. We would need the exact parts of your system, exact configurations and uses of your datarsets.
I see your hardware listed as:
FreeNAS-11.2-Beta3
Gigabyte MX31-BS0
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 @ 3.40GHz
32G Kingston DDR4 2133 ECC Unbuffered
Corsair 80+ Gold CS450M
Fractal Design Define R5
6 x 1tb wd black Raidz2
2 x 240Gb SSD Jails
Is this current?

SavageAUS

Patron
Yes this is current except PSU which doesn’t matter. My use case is home storage with Plex, sonarr, radarr, transmission. Normally only 1 stream at a time. My system to me is quite quick is it as it I was asking if there was a way for me to use this spare M.2 drive for any purpose, better than it collecting dust.

kdragon75

Wizard
The only thing you might use it for is a torrent pool to prevent fragmentation on your main pool. Based on what you have said, you would see no gains with is as a L2ARC or SLOG.

SavageAUS

Patron
The only thing you might use it for is a torrent pool to prevent fragmentation on your main pool. Based on what you have said, you would see no gains with is as a L2ARC or SLOG.
Yeah then I could move my downloads off my JailsSSD to its own drive. Thanks for you input.

Status
Not open for further replies.