Resource icon

LSI 9300-xx Firmware Update 16.00.12.00

sfanla

Dabbler
is version 16 still the right firmware as of July 2023? I ask only because I always see talks about version 20 in forums, but I think that might be for SAS2 cards, not SAS3 cards.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, P16.0.00.10 or 12 for SAS 93xx cards, P20.0.0.7 for all SAS2 controllers.
SAS 94xx and 95xx actually have newer firmware, which should probably be used.

isopropyl

Contributor

A user in this thread mentioned that I am using the incorrect firmware for my HBA, and directed me here.
However, I do not believe this applies to me, because it is a 3008 card, not a 9300. I was just looking for confirmation though.

My HBA is a Supermicro AOC-S3008L-L8E Rev2 (IT MODE) and I got the IT Mode firmware directly from Supermicro's firmware page

librewolf_Sb9Q01BtiG.png

I don't think this has anything to do with my issues in that thread either.
You state that this only affects SATA drives, all my drives in my pool are HDD and I have not noticed any issues and have been running this card for over a year with this firmware. My boot drive is a SATA SSD however, and I assume I would have noticed major issues, which I have never.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
However, I do not believe this applies to me, because it is a 3008 card, not a 9300.
Your card looks very much like mine in the sense of having the LSI 3008 chip on it, yet my card is an LSI 9300... the card model doesn't matter as much as the chip:

Code:
Avago Technologies SAS3 Flash Utility
Version 16.00.00.00 (2017.05.02)
Copyright 2008-2017 Avago Technologies. All rights reserved.

Adapter Selected is a Avago SAS: SAS3008(C0)

Controller Number              : 0
    Controller                     : SAS3008(C0)
    PCI Address                    : 00:04:00:00
    SAS Address                    : 500062b-2-02a3-2ac0
    NVDATA Version (Default)       : 0e.01.00.03
    NVDATA Version (Persistent)    : 0e.01.00.03
    Firmware Product ID            : 0x2221 (IT)
    Firmware Version               : 16.00.12.00
    NVDATA Vendor                  : LSI
    NVDATA Product ID              : SAS9300-16i
    BIOS Version                   : 08.11.00.00
    UEFI BSD Version               : 06.00.00.00
    FCODE Version                  : N/A
    Board Name                     : SAS9300-16i
    Board Assembly                 : 03-25600-01B
    Board Tracer Number            : SP64601874

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.

The firmware would certainly apply.

Looking at your current version, it's not only going to be the difference between the .11 and .12 fixes that you would benefit from, so my recommendation is to perform the update.

neofusion

Contributor

A user in this thread mentioned that I am using the incorrect firmware for my HBA, and directed me here.
However, I do not believe this applies to me, because it is a 3008 card, not a 9300. I was just looking for confirmation though.

My HBA is a Supermicro AOC-S3008L-L8E Rev2 (IT MODE) and I got the IT Mode firmware directly from Supermicro's firmware page

View attachment 68966

I don't think this has anything to do with my issues in that thread either.
You state that this only affects SATA drives, all my drives in my pool are HDD and I have not noticed any issues and have been running this card for over a year with this firmware. My boot drive is a SATA SSD however, and I assume I would have noticed major issues, which I have never.
If your vendor doesn't offer the latest firmware you can take a look at this thread dealing with cross-flashing over at ServeTheHome.

Etorix

Wizard
"3008" is the LSI reference of the controller chip. Controllers of the 3000 family of SAS3 controllers are found in cards of the LSI 9300 series.
So your LSI 3008 controller does belong to a LSI 9300 card (or OEM equivalent): Two different ways to designate the same thing.

And SAS2 controllers of the 2000 family are found in the 9200 series of cards.

isopropyl

Contributor
If your vendor doesn't offer the latest firmware you can take a look at this thread dealing with cross-flashing over at ServeTheHome.
Well from what everyone is saying, it looks like this 9300-xx firmware update does actually apply to me so I should be good to just update it with this firmware.

Your card looks very much like mine in the sense of having the LSI 3008 chip on it, yet my card is an LSI 9300... the card model doesn't matter as much as the chip:
The firmware would certainly apply.
Looking at your current version, it's not only going to be the difference between the .11 and .12 fixes that you would benefit from, so my recommendation is to perform the update.
"3008" is the LSI reference of the controller chip. Controllers of the 3000 family of SAS3 controllers are found in cards of the LSI 9300 series.
So your LSI 3008 controller does belong to a LSI 9300 card (or OEM equivalent): Two different ways to designate the same thing.

And SAS2 controllers of the 2000 family are found in the 9200 series of cards.

Okay, will go ahead and do it.

Curiously, I remember when updating this I did it from EFI shell I believe.
But from @JoshDW19 instructions, it seems you can do it right from TrueNAS shell?

Looks like I'd just fetch the folder onto TrueNAS, extract it, navigate to the folder and flash the .bin file?
sas3flash -o -f SAS9300_xx_IT.bin

As far as which one, how do I determine which to flash?
Again my device is a AOC-S3008L-L8E Rev2.
Should I assume I am flashing SAS9300_8e_IT.bin, out of all the options in there (9300-4i, 9300-4i4e, 9300-8e, 9300-8i, etc.)?

What is the SAS9300_8e_IT_acm?

Also again my BOOT drive is SATA, and my entire Pool is SAS.
If I am running this, can I do it directly from TrueNAS shell? Should I be bringing my Pool offline to be safe, or will nothing apply until I reboot the machine?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If I am running this, can I do it directly from TrueNAS shell? Should I be bringing my Pool offline to be safe, or will nothing apply until I reboot the machine?
You can run it in TrueNAS, but take your pool offline first. Otherwise, you'll get the equivalent of a hard power cut to the disks... maybe OK, but I wouldn't chance it (having said that, I'm speaking from experience, which I got away with sans damage, so there's that).

isopropyl

Contributor
You can run it in TrueNAS, but take your pool offline first. Otherwise, you'll get the equivalent of a hard power cut to the disks... maybe OK, but I wouldn't chance it (having said that, I'm speaking from experience, which I got away with sans damage, so there's that).
Is it of concern that my boot pool is a SATA SSD connected to my HBA?
Or should I move it directly onto the motherboard so it doesn't get affected by this.

Beyond that, just waiting on confirmation as to the correct .bin to install.
Thanks!

neofusion

Contributor
Well from what everyone is saying, it looks like this 9300-xx firmware update does actually apply to me so I should be good to just update it with this firmware.

Okay, will go ahead and do it.

Curiously, I remember when updating this I did it from EFI shell I believe.
But from @JoshDW19 instructions, it seems you can do it right from TrueNAS shell?

Looks like I'd just fetch the folder onto TrueNAS, extract it, navigate to the folder and flash the .bin file?
sas3flash -o -f SAS9300_xx_IT.bin

As far as which one, how do I determine which to flash?
Again my device is a AOC-S3008L-L8E Rev2.
Should I assume I am flashing SAS9300_8e_IT.bin, out of all the options in there (9300-4i, 9300-4i4e, 9300-8e, 9300-8i, etc.)?

What is the SAS9300_8e_IT_acm?

Also again my BOOT drive is SATA, and my entire Pool is SAS.
The thread I linked to has a lot posts from people going through the same or similar upgrades, I found it valuable to read through.

Regarding the question about which file to flash, the card you linked to is one with internal ports, the file you mentioned "SAS9300_8e_IT.bin" implies a card with external ports. You're looking for the SAS9300_8i_IT.bin file.

sretalla