lsblk error during installation

MrFochy

Cadet
Good morning!
Before explaining the problem, my setup: i'm trying to install truenas scale on a proxmox 8.1.4 vm with 4 core, 24GB RAM, 32GB SSD, LSI HBA board full dedicated (passthrough). The system physically has a Ryzen 7 2700x on a X470 motherboard, 48GB RAM, 1x500GB nvme and the LSI HBA board.
After that, the problem: everytime i'm trying to install, after he created the partition and asked me if i want to go uefi boot or not (i must select no because my HBA card is not uefi compatible) i have the error: "lsblk: CANT_FIND_sda3_OR_sdap3: not a block device" sda3 is the virtual unit that i select for truenas installation; i've already googled the error and it seems like a "racing condition" during install, and i found
that should be fixed in the truenas scale 23.10.2, but i've read on truenas documentation that this build it's now the 23.10.1.3, but i've still got the error. I've also tried the 24.04 beta, with same result.
I've also "tried" the solution proposed
, with quotation mark because i've nevere used vi, so it's likely that i messed up something during my attempts
So.. what can i do?
Thanks in advance for any help :grin:

MrFochy

Cadet
Hi all,
a little update: i noticed that it's now available the 23.10.2, but sadly, same result as 23.10.1.3, 23.10.1.2 and 24.04...

rtalcott

Cadet
Hi all,
a little update: i noticed that it's now available the 23.10.2, but sadly, same result as 23.10.1.3, 23.10.1.2 and 24.04...
FWIW I get this error when I am installing TrueNAS Scale to a Dell r420 with two PNY 250 gb ssd BUT no problem when I use two 500 gig hard drives...same machine...only difference is the drives.

MrFochy

Cadet
FWIW I get this error when I am installing TrueNAS Scale to a Dell r420 with two PNY 250 gb ssd BUT no problem when I use two 500 gig hard drives...same machine...only difference is the drives.
I tried now with a bigger virtual device (64gb instead of 32gb), but same results... it always prompt "lsblk: CANT_FIND_sda3_OR_sdap3: not a block device" just when i press no to uefi boot. Of all the difficulties I thought I would encounter (first time using truenas, i'm building an home server for my new house), I didn't expect to stop just at the installation process

MrFochy

Cadet
P.S.: i just noticed a thing: after it fails the installation, if i retry, on the list of devices the one that i selected before it reports "null" after the device name, seems like it wasn't partitioned correctly?

MrFochy

Cadet
Hi all, i found a workaround: it seems like the problem occurs only when you try to use truenas in non uefi mode, if i select yes when it let me choose between uefi or not, the installation process goes on normally. To boot in uefi in my system, i've just disabled the hba board in the boot order of the vm. Since there is a bug anyway, if further information is needed, just tell me

rtalcott

Cadet
Hi all, i found a workaround: it seems like the problem occurs only when you try to use truenas in non uefi mode, if i select yes when it let me choose between uefi or not, the installation process goes on normally. To boot in uefi in my system, i've just disabled the hba board in the boot order of the vm. Since there is a bug anyway, if further information is needed, just tell me
Interesting...I need to try this again although I am installing on old hardware ( a Dell r420) and I may need to get into the BIOS. I've never transitioned to UEFI....one more thing to do...Thank You for the update. I'll hopefully give this a try this weekend.

jammydammy

Cadet
Hi, I have the same issue but im stuck on Bios, because my Bios does not support uefi boot. Has anyone an idea how i get around this bug, but still sticking to bios. If i select EFI it installs fine, but wont boot.