Lost data on my iSCSI share

claudio.ninin

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I'm really need help!
I have a FreeNAS Storage with important data, but after reboot my storage server I haven't acess on the Windows iSCSI conection.
To try solve this problem I ran the chkdsk and now the partition is acessible but I don't see anything there.
Attached there some image tha I capture to show the problem.
Can anybody help me please?

FreeNAS-11.2-U2
(Build Date: Feb 14, 2019 20:8)

Attachments

• Used.png
    Used.png
    89 KB · Views: 50
  • Windows-iSCSI.png
    Windows-iSCSI.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Linux_df.png
    Linux_df.png
    360.7 KB · Views: 45

claudio.ninin

Dabbler
Hello,

I ran this command on my server and I can see the pool with my data there.
1704721678251.png

Here you can see my Extent configuration:

1704721821126.png

But when I acess with my Windows Server on iSCSI conection I can't see my data:
1704721937378.png

Attachments

• 1704721660948.png
    1704721660948.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 39

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is not an easy situation to troubleshoot for you and you'll need to figure it out mostly on your own, but we can ask some relevant questions:
  1. Did you by any chance have the client format the virtual disk backed by the iSCSI extent?
  2. Do you have any snapshots, and if so, what happens if you clone them and mount the clone via iSCSI?

claudio.ninin

Dabbler
This is not an easy situation to troubleshoot for you and you'll need to figure it out mostly on your own, but we can ask some relevant questions:
  1. Did you by any chance have the client format the virtual disk backed by the iSCSI extent?
  2. Do you have any snapshots, and if so, what happens if you clone them and mount the clone via iSCSI?
1. I'm not sure about that because I'm not only person who can acess this server. If someone did by this, Is there anyway to restore?
2. No, unfortunately I don't have snapshots

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If someone did by this, Is there anyway to restore?
Maybe, but the first steps all revolve around figuring out what happened on the Windows side of things... We might be talking about recovering data from an NTFS partition, after all.

On TrueNAS, zfs list -o space may be interesting and give some clues as to what's going on.

claudio.ninin

Dabbler
Maybe, but the first steps all revolve around figuring out what happened on the Windows side of things... We might be talking about recovering data from an NTFS partition, after all.

On TrueNAS, zfs list -o space may be interesting and give some clues as to what's going on.
OK, see below:
1704732375766.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, there's 14.5 TB of blocks actually allocated in that zvol. I'd say there's a good chance you might recover your data with NTFS recovery tools.

Whatever you do, snapshot that zvol immediately and back it up. Then you can try all sorts of things on a third copy, not on the original.

claudio.ninin

Dabbler
Snapshot could not be taken: cannot create snapshot 'VOL_01_STORAGE/VOL_01_STORAGE@manual-20240109-inst-recuperacao': out of space no snapshots were created

I don't have enough space to make a snapshot then I'm thinking how to solve this.
I thought by an extra disk of 20TB then add a new pool then set this spool to snapshot storage.
Is this a good way?

1704807691310.png
Snapshot could not be taken: cannot create snapshot 'VOL_01_STORAGE/VOL_01_STORAGE@manual-20240109-inst-recuperacao': out of space no snapshots were created

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I thought by an extra disk of 20TB then add a new pool then set this spool to snapshot storage.
No, that is not at all how it works. I guess it's complaining because of the refreservation.

Before you move forward, what's the output of zpool status?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, at this point you have two options to proceed safely.
  1. Get more disks and expand the pool with another RAIDZ vdev (not with a single disk) and take a snapshot.
  2. Create a second pool, with the spare disk, disable the refreservation, take a snapshot and replicate the snapshot.
Beyond that, it's a Windows/NTFS question and you'll need to figure out what to do to the image you'll be working on. Again, back everything up and make another copy to work on.

robyn

Cadet
I am in a very similar situation here and I'm going to post a new thread but confirming that I've read through this one! :)