Lost AD Connection & Could Not Reconnect (Solved)

moraga695

Dabbler
Hello,

I'm running Freenas 11.3-U2 and recently lost my AD connection and I was not able to reconnect. I have no idea how or why this happened. After a couple of days of searching the Web I was able to find a solution which might help others. Everything I tried resulted in the same error in my middleward.log file:
"kerberos_kinit_password FREENAS$@WNET2.COM failed: Preauthentication failed
ads_sasl_spnego_gensec_bind(KRB5) failed for ldap/sm-server.wnet2.com with user[FREENAS$] realm=[WNET2.COM]: Preauthentication failed" - and the Freenas directory services monitor kept showing, "Active Directory - Faulted"

Finally, I found a post by Andrew.P from August 2018 in the Freenas Community that suggested running the following command in the Freenas shell, "net cache flush" (without the quotes) might help - and it sure did! My problem was solved and I now have, "Active Directory - Healthy" in the monitor.

Note that this cache seems to be quite persistent. It remained unchanged through reboots of my Freenas box and even the upgrade from 11.3-U2 to 11.3-U2.1.

I should also say that I am NOT a Freenas/FreeBSD expert, so I don't know why this fix worked for me. But if you are having AD connection issues you might wish to add this to your troubleshooting steps.