so i currently have a freenas setup inside a pc case with the following specs:

Ryzen 2400G
Liquid Cooler for the CPU
B350 Motherboard
64GB RAM
SAS9211-8I 8PORT
Chelsio 10GbE Dual SPF+ N320E T320 Network Card
12 10TB Iron Wolf HDD inside the case

Now iam at 92% hard disc utilization and i need to expand.
I don't know what's the best route to do it. Should i buy like an expansion enclosure with like 16/24 slot hard disc chassis or should i buy a chassis where i can move all those components and has slots for like 24 hard disc.

Can you please help me with the products? I need link for external enclosure if that's what you guys think is good. I would like to use the SAS connector. I'll probably have to buy another SAS card as i have no space to add new hard disc.

Or link to a product that i can move all my components and has built in hard drive space

Arwen

MVP
It would help to list how you have configured the 12 x 10TB disks. RAID-Z2? Mirrored pairs?

If it's mirrored pairs, you can replace 2 x 10TB disks with larger disks, and after re-sync, the pool will grow.

On the other hand, if your are using all 12 disks in a RAID-Zx configuration, that limits your choices. Ideally, you would have the ability to backup your entire pool, replace 6 of the 12 disks with much larger ones. Then make 2, 6 x disk vDevs. Yes, it's asymmetrical. But, if you need to grow again, replace the 6 smaller disks with larger ones. Repeat as needed. (The industry is up to 22TB disks...)

As for what RAID-Zx to use, RAID-Z1 is not really recommended with larger than 1TB disks. So, minimum of RAID-Z2.

ruzifan

Dabbler
It would help to list how you have configured the 12 x 10TB disks. RAID-Z2? Mirrored pairs?

If it's mirrored pairs, you can replace 2 x 10TB disks with larger disks, and after re-sync, the pool will grow.

On the other hand, if your are using all 12 disks in a RAID-Zx configuration, that limits your choices. Ideally, you would have the ability to backup your entire pool, replace 6 of the 12 disks with much larger ones. Then make 2, 6 x disk vDevs. Yes, it's asymmetrical. But, if you need to grow again, replace the 6 smaller disks with larger ones. Repeat as needed. (The industry is up to 22TB disks...)

As for what RAID-Zx to use, RAID-Z1 is not really recommended with larger than 1TB disks. So, minimum of RAID-Z2.
thanks for your post, but i think i'm looking for a solution where i simply buy an external enclosure and add more disc drives and make new data set.

i don't really want to make copies of my existing drives etc..

so really looking for suggestion on products.