BUILD Looking for experienced review of my build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgrnpacer

Dabbler
Just finalized most of my hardware build for my first FreeNAS server and I wanted to get some feedback on my build and some help with a couple of items.

This FreeNAS server I am building is for my home where it will be used primarily to hold all of my DVD/CD backups and serve as a PLEX server that will handle transcoding duties for a maximum of 4 or 5 simultaneous 1080p streams. In addition to media I will be housing all of the pics and vids of my family that can't be lost and it may be housing high resolution artwork images that my wife will be creating.

That being said I read through the hardware recommendations thread and asked a few other questions in threads over the past few weeks and came up with the following:

-mboard: X10SL7-F
-Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz (a little over 10k passmark score)
-32gb ECC RAM from CRUCIAL CT2KIT102472BD160B as hardware thread recommends
-(6) 4TB WD Red hard drives in RAIDZ2 with room for a second VDEV of the same if I end up outgrowing this
-Antec 1200 V3 case used from local seller on craigslist that I am picking up tomorrow ($50)
-CyberPower CYCP1000AVRL UPS

I need some help on the power supply choice... I was trying to determine the wattage but I was unable to locate how much the motherboard would eat up. I read that the RAM is pretty much a nonfactor. I also read somewhere that my 6 hard drives would take up about 10.5 amps to spin up and then about 30 watts continuously. Max TDP of my processor is 80 watts. The case will have about (4) 120mm fans and (1) 200mm fan on top along with a CPU cooling fan that I have yet to choose. There will also be a 32gb SATA DOM for the OS that I will need help choosing as well. Any help on sizing or a site I could read that would help me figure it out would be great. Do power supplies typically come with the required amount of hard drive connectors or will that factor in my decision? Maybe an adapter will need to be purchased to hook all 6 hds up?

I see that there are a couple of different SATA DOMs to purchase and I wanted to be sure that I didn't buy one that doesn't work on my board. I was going to purchase the same one that Cyberjock has in his signature for his machine but when I went to look it up it has 2 or 3 different choices for the 32gb size with different options. Any input here would help.

Thanks for your help guys!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Generally, 60W + 30W per drive is a good starting point. If you want 12 drives, that puts you at the edge of 450W territory, so I'd recommend at least a Seasonic G-550. Amount of connectors is a non-issue, as any computer component store will have several varieties of cables (1 to many SATA, 1 molex to many SATA, ...).

Off the top pf my head, the G-550 should have something in the neighborhood of 6 to 8 SATA power connectors, at least.

As for the DOM, Supermicro DOMs shouldn't require external power when used on the appropriate SATA sockets on the motherboard. Others probably will. A small SSD might end up being cheaper, so look out for those as well.

j_r0dd

Contributor
This is the PSU I went with. Should be more than you currently need with some room to grow. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-151-124

I went with an Innodisk 16GB SataDOM. I purchased from memorydepot.com which was a painful experience. If this one dies I will toss it and go with a super micro SuperDOM just for ease to get.

marbus90

Guru
The socket 1150 range doesn't feature the yellow SATADOM connectors, special cable needed for that.

Apart from that, acceptable selection if you stick to 4 max transcoding sessions. look at singlethreaded passmarks, substract 10% and then you have your plex passmarks. hyperthreading factors into the total value, however plex can't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.