Looking for CPU/Mobo recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0d3g3ar

Cadet
I have to build 2 x FreeNAS 11 server for Home NAS. Need about 30TB of storage per NAS, and thinking of using 4x10TB WDD NAS hard drives. This will replace two existing NAS installs (not FreeNAS) that are running out of capacity. $$$ sensitive. Thinking of a couple of DIY boxes for this, but would appreciate anyone who has done something like this with current FreeNAS builds to chime in with their hardware combos. Not looking for enterprise class hardware, but something I can build into a typical "Beige Box" type setup and put in my closet.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

K

danb35

Hall of Famer
Need about 30TB of storage per NAS, and thinking of using 4x10TB WDD NAS hard drives.
Unless you forego redundancy entirely, this will only give you 25 TiB of total available capacity, of which only about 20 TiB will really be usable due to the recommendation of leaving at least 20% free space on your pool.

For a hardware suggestion, the best bang-for-buck is the HPE Proliant ML10, though it's currently out of stock at tigerdirect.com. Last price I saw was under $200.

k0d3g3ar

Cadet
Thank you for the hardware recommendation. The HPE Proliant looks exactly like what I need. I see that it can handle 6 x SATA drives. I'm fine with going for a larger number of smaller drives. Would that be a better idea?

joeschmuck

Old Man
You never specified your use case for the NAS so I will assume this is a home system and you are looking to serve up movies and some computer backups.

If you are looking for ~30TB of storage and only six hard drives then you are basically stuck using 10TB drives. I would highly recommend a RAIDZ2 format and that will give you ~36TB of storage, subtract 20% and you are in the ballpark. If your data in not important to you then you could go with a RAIDZ1 setup however if you have a drive failure then your data could be at risk of total loss if you cannot replace and resilver in a new 10TB drive in time, hence the recommendation to use a RAIDZ2 setup. Your hard drives will be the most expensive part of the NAS.

k0d3g3ar

Cadet
You never specified your use case for the NAS so I will assume this is a home system and you are looking to serve up movies and some computer backups.

Yes, you are correct. This is a Home system for my video collection, and backups, etc.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well this will be pretty expensive for all this storage and if the bulk is of video files that if they were to be lost, you could save a bit of money by creating two pools, a RAIDZ1 for your video files and a RAIDZ2 for your important data. Of course you would need to buy more hard drives but the smaller capacities are much cheaper. This also means that you may not want to use the ML10 server however here is a link to someone who has moved that server into another case in order to add more hard drives. This will give you an idea of the possibilities.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yes, you are correct. This is a Home system for my video collection, and backups, etc.
Budget discussion here. Do you actually need two servers, not that I am against it because that is what I have, but why are you thinking of having two servers? Maybe you could have one with two storage pools where one pool is the backup data and the other is the live data?

Additionally, along the lines of what @joeschmuck said, you might be better served with more drives. The 10TB drives are still a bit of a premium with regard to price. Depending on the model drive you buy, the 6TB or 8TB drives are much better bang for the buck. You might come out better off purchasing a decommissioned enterprise server like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMICRO...9DRI-F-BPN-SAS2-846EL1-24x-TRAYS/382231880992

Then put ten 6TB hard drives in it instead of buying six 10TB drives. In addition to which, if you don't really need a physically separate server, you could buy ten more drives to make your backup pool in the same chassis.

Can you say more about your intended use here?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Stux

MVP
If the two servers is to have a live backup, then raidz1
Might not be such a terrible idea.

And if 30TB is 30TB rather than 30TiB that also helps.

joeschmuck

Old Man
TB and TiB, I hate the two terms, there should not be a base 10 when it comes to traditionally base 2 numbering schemes. But that is a never wining argument.

Stux

MVP
TB and TiB, I hate the two terms, there should not be a base 10 when it comes to traditionally base 2 numbering schemes. But that is a never wining argument.

Yeah... it took me about 10 years, but I got over it

LIGISTX

Guru
I am currently building one of the proliants into a different case to support more drives. I went with 9x4TB Z2, so not the amount of storage your after, but if you make those 6 TB drives instead your solidly into the 30 range. Using a Corsair 750d case and a Corsair rm650i PSU. Once the additional ram comes in (it’s in backorder until sometime on December) I’ll be fully up and running.

To me it was the best bang for buck. I helped a buddy (the system in my sig) build out a used server into a freenas box. That was also a great budget oriented idea since he needed a lot more drives then myself. That used server chassis with mobo, CPU’s, RAM and 2 boot SSD’s was sub 500 bucks to my door. And he has 2 4tbx8 Z2 vdevs going no problem at all. Just depends on the use case which will be more suited for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.