Looking for advise on my FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKHilton

Cadet
Hello everyone,

My name is Derek, and I'm looking to build my first ever NAS. I have been reading for close to a year now on FreeNAS and consistently looking at everything this Forum has to offer. So, some will say if I've been reading and studying for nearly a year, then I should have no question about hardware well so with me.

My plans for the NAS, ist to be used at home mostly as bulk storage for documents, photos, streaming movies (3 to 4 streams at any given time) and music. I hope to use some of the jails and VM capabilities to host other functions. High on that next to do list is to get Plex running and to get my web server up, so that when I travel as I do often all over the world, I can watch movies and listen to music and have a select number of family and friends be able to access my server, so that they may stream movies and music as well among other thing while away from home.

Please, find the link to my amazon wish list here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/ref=cm_wl_upd_succ_mng and I as for your input so that I can start my build as soon as possible. Also, I have two cases listed and I'm looking for advice on which case you would recommend over the other. I'm really wanting a hot swappable case and Silverstone offers that, but I'm not sure it will stay cool enough and plus it is not as eye catching to me as the Fractal Design R5.

I hope that I followed the forum rules when it came to this post.

Thanks

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The pro drives are overkill for a home system and IMHO not worth it. One SATA Dom is plenty as well. No need for 2, SSD are very reliable.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Intel Corp. BX80662E31245V5 Xeon Processor E3 1245 v5
Unless this is the same price as the 1240, go for the 1240--the integrated graphics of the 1245 will be wasted here. RAM looks a little light for that much storage, but probably OK (and you're leaving yourself plenty of room to grow by getting a single 16 GB stick). Why are you using different drives? ZFS doesn't require precisely matched drives, but intentionally splitting them up seems odd.

DKHilton

Cadet
Unless this is the same price as the 1240, go for the 1240--the integrated graphics of the 1245 will be wasted here. RAM looks a little light for that much storage, but probably OK (and you're leaving yourself plenty of room to grow by getting a single 16 GB stick). Why are you using different drives? ZFS doesn't require precisely matched drives, but intentionally splitting them up seems odd.
The Price of the E3-1245v5 is only $6 more than the 1240.... You are correct the RAM was misprinted I meant to say 4x 16gb sticks... I've read several people use different drives due to potential lot failures and this way I will not have to replace all drives if lets say the WD was a bad lot if manufactured with the same lot, So, you believe that is a bad decision to go that route?

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
I use 6 WD RED 4TB drives and I have no issues.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The Price of the E3-1245v5 is only $6 more than the 1240.... You are correct the RAM was misprinted I meant to say 4x 16gb sticks... I've read several people use different drives due to potential lot failures and this way I will not have to replace all drives if lets say the WD was a bad lot if manufactured with the same lot, So, you believe that is a bad decision to go that route?
Don't wast the money or extra power on the 1245, just get the 1240. If you want to give away $6 I'll send you my paypal contact info.

DKHilton

Cadet
Thanks everyone for your help. So I will not waste the extra money on the E3-1245 and get the E3-1240 instead. I will also, get all WD Reds instead of mixing the HDDs and of course get the correct cooler for the CPU. Other than that everything else looks good to go correct?

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
Thanks everyone for your help. So I will not waste the extra money on the E3-1245 and get the E3-1240 instead. I will also, get all WD Reds instead of mixing the HDDs and of course get the correct cooler for the CPU. Other than that everything else looks good to go correct?

Looks pretty good and somewhat similar to the build I have!

Stux

MVP
Don't wast the money or extra power on the 1245, just get the 1240. If you want to give away $6 I'll send you my paypal contact info.

I would suggest the 1230 over the 1240. 4% slower, 10% cheaper.

Your call ;)

Skip the pro drives and go for the 5400rpm. Cooler and less power. Save money too.

Go for ironwolf or wd red, whichever is cheaper.

Interesting case the cs380b.

Get the right cooler.

If you went with USB drives instead of SSD/DOMs, you wouldn't need the SAS controller to connect to the 8 drives...

As it is tho, you have 8 drives, and 6 spare Sata ports. Use an SSD instead of the satadom, should have higher performance and be cheaper, and those cases should have plenty of room for 2.5" HDs inside. Would still leave room to add an extra 3 drives in the two 5.25" slots (with a 3in2 drive module) in the silver stone case.

Status
Not open for further replies.