Long/extended S.M.A.R.T test tasks not run

lightwave

Explorer
I've set up tasks for S.M.A.R.T. tests on my freeness box: short tests daily (0 * * *) and long tests weekly (0 * * sun). However, when I check the logs with "smartctl -a [dev]" it only shows "short offline" tests and no "extended offline" tests. I'm starting to wonder whether the short tests on sundays are started before the long tests and thereby blocking the long tests. Do any of you have any experience with this?

Thank you in advance!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Your schedule certainly leaves room for the possibility of one scan being blocked by the other as the both start at the same time and smartctl will certainly not proceed if another process is already working on the same disk.

You could consider moving the long tests to 00:15 or something like that, which would probably not make a lot of difference other than to avoid the conflict.

lightwave

Explorer
Thanks for your input. I ended up changing the daily schedule so that it runs all days but Sundays. Lets see if it works :smile:

Considering to file a bug report on this. The UI design encourages the user to set up overlapping schedules (e.g. selecting daily and weekly as schedule for short and long tests respectively rather than designing custom schedules) and there are no warnings or alerts to help you discover that the long tests are never run. A simple fix could, for instance, be to adjust the scheduler so that it always initialized long tests before short tests scheduled at the same time...