Locking / R1Soft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chadi

Explorer
I'm looking into using R1Soft backup tool with FreeNAS and asked them about this. They said this:

It is possible to use a NAS device as the storage location for disk safes within the server backup manager. A requirement of the backup manager is that the NAS device must support locking.

Does FreeNAS support locking?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If we are talking file locking, that is handled by your file protocol. If you are using Samba/CIFS that works just fine. If you are doing NFS you might have to explicitly set it.

Chadi

Explorer
Thanks. Where do I see what file protocol is being used currently? I'm in the admin panel, under storage tab and don't see anything regarding this.

gpsguy

Look on the "Services" tab to see what you enabled.

What OS are you running the backup software on? How are you accessing your data on your FreeNAS server? CIFS, FTP, ... These are protocols.

Sent from my phone

Chadi

Explorer
Thanks for your reply.

I use FTP for data backups and access.

The NAS server's version shows: FreeNAS-9.2.1-RELEASE-x64 (bd35c86)

gpsguy

If you look at the system requirements for the Server Backup Manager, it looks like you'll need either a Windows or Linux server. To use it with FreeNAS, you'll probably need to use CIFS, iSCSI, or NFS.

Read the documentation for your backup product. I've never heard of it, but at least read the requirements.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FTP has no file locking. ;)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
If you use CIFS you can view oplocks through 'smbstatus' on the server or compmgnt.msc on a windows client (if the user has been granted 'sediskoperatorprivilege' rights).

Status
Not open for further replies.