Local Replication and view with Windows Share

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Freenas 9.3. I wished to backup my key datasets to a separate (removable) volume so I can keep off site. So I take snapshots and replicate. For Example my snapshot of my Media dataset on my fdrive volume is called manualforbackup and my Backup volume is simply called Backup so I replicate using:

zfs send -Rv fdrive/Media@manualforbackup | zfs receive -Fdu Backup

This seems to create a dataset in Backup called Media. But initially I could not view it from my windows PC (to check it). The volume is a Windows CIF share. I noted the actual replicated dataset was a Unix Share not a Windows share so I incorrectly thought that was the issue. After some tests I have found that on my server if I use a single drive ESATA unit then the file replicates and can be seen OK. On the dual drive ESATA unit (set as a raid mirror) then the file replicates but cannot initially be seen on Windows. A clone of that file (it is listed in snapshots so can be cloned) can be seen on my Windows PC. And I have now discovered that if I detach the volume and then import the volume then the initial folder becomes viewable on a Windows PC.

This may be peculiar to my setup but I have updated this note just in case anyone else has same initial problems and stumbles across this thread!

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Unix permissioned dataset does NOT mean you cannot use it as a CIFs share. Not sure why you would think that. ALL my datasets are UNIX and CIFS works just fine.

Unix permissioned dataset does NOT mean you cannot use it as a CIFs share. Not sure why you would think that. ALL my datasets are UNIX and CIFS works just fine.
Thanks. OK it was my wrong assumption as this dataset was simply not being seen by when I went into browse on 'Add a CIFS share'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.