Local Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostlobster

Dabbler
All,
I've been struggling with finding an easy way to backup my data stored on my FreeNAS box locally to my external drive and was able to get things backing up using a bit of a roundabout kludge. I attached a 2TB external drive to my system and created a ZFS volume. I then created a user for backups and made that user as the owner of the volume within the GUI, setting the permissions recursively. Then, I created a RSync module, pointing to that new volume and using the new user, setting permissions to read/write. Then, created a new RSync push task, snagging the file system I want backed up from my main data volume, pointing back to the blocal host name, setting it to run nightly at 12:01AM every day. Well, what do you know, it worked!

While this post is mostly intended to be informative, I would appreciate it if someone who has a better, easier way of managing to get this done would let me know and post it here. Basically, what is anyone else using for local backups?

sysfu

Explorer
For now I'm doing manual back to back zfs send / recv commands to stream a snapshot of my raidz array to a single large drive. I have an HP Microserver where I slapped a StarTech 5.25in Trayless Hot Swap Mobile Rack for 3.5in Hard Drive into the optical bay. I put a single large backup 3.5" SATA drive in there then created a another volume called "backuppool" on it.

Then I create a snapshot of my main file volume disk pool with zfs snapshot -r mainpool@xfer

Since there doesn't seem to be any facility in the GUI for local replication, for now I'm just running manual zfs snapshot streaming commands like so

zfs send -R mainpool@xfer | zfs recv -dvF backuppool

That seems to dump a backup somewhat faster than rsync.

Status
Not open for further replies.