Backup selected files between 2 local disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

5teve

Dabbler
Well i was just looking for something very similar to this, so i'll tag my question on to this... My NAS is used purely as a backup device. The server using acronis 2012 backs up to the nas (1 x full + 6 incrementals - 5 chains before removing oldest)

I would like a replication type event to happen once a day from my NAS volume (5 x 2tb drives in Raidz) to an external 2tb drive. I dont want everything copying however, just certain folders so that i can have backups of backups.

I have mounted the external disk and it has a zfs volume created on it.... now what! :)

Is what i want possible... or am i waiting for 8.1 and the new plugins?

Any advice appreciated!

Steve

ProtoSD

MVP
Sorry Steve, it is considered hijacking to tack you post onto the end of someone elses, which had already been solved. Your question is different enough for its own post.

Still this question has been asked and answered countless times already, please search a little more. (cron, backup, rsync)

5teve

Dabbler
HI Proto

Apologies for that... in my newbieness i thought that it may be a similar instruction or so...

I have searched and search but must be using the wrong terminology.. so will try again.. i know there is info about v7 having a local rsync.. so i'll continue on...

Thanks again

Steve

ProtoSD

MVP
Something that may help you search and should probably get a big sticky posting is this:

Do Advanced Search, choose Single Content Type.

Try to add SINGLE word tags when you post, unless its something like 'fatal error 9', then tag it like 'fatal', 'error 9'. That helps searching by tags easier. If I see a good post, I'll make sure to go fill in the tags as accurately as I can so people like you can find stuff easier. It makes things harder when people don't follow the rules and threads get cluttered with multiple semi related discussions.

Others may have different or better answers, but basically what you want to do is make a cron job for each folder you want to backup and use a similar rsync command to the one I posted. There's an rsync SERVICE in the GUI, but that's different.

Hope that helps a little

Status
Not open for further replies.