Loading if_

habouji

Cadet
Hi there,

I'm trying to get my "Broadcom QLogic BCM57712 10 Gigabit Ethernet Dual Port Adapter" to work in TrueNAS Core 12.0-U1.
This card is supported by the "if_bxe.ko" driver per https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.3R/hardware.html#ethernet.

I added 'if_bxe_load="YES"' to '/boot/loader.conf', but apparently this driver isn't included in the FreeNAS image.

I downloaded the driver from https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/amd64/amd64/12.2-RELEASE/ (12.0-U1.1 is based on "FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p2") and placed in /boot/kernel/, gave proper permissions.

After a reboot I don't see the NIC listed; when doing dmesg I see:

module_register: cannot register pci/bxe from kernel; already loaded from if_bxe.ko
Module pci/bxe failed to register: 17

habouji

Cadet
Pardon, I hit enter during preview and the post was done - I do not see a possibility to edit the title or the content.
Title should be "Loading if_bxe.ko".

Anyhow, does anyone have an idea on how to get this to work?
Many thanks.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The error indicates if_bxe.ko auto-loaded, and the tunable failed to reload it. Does kldstat | grep if_bxe show it loaded? If so, you can remove the tunable.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

habouji

Cadet
The error indicates if_bxe.ko auto-loaded, and the tunable failed to reload it. Does kldstat | grep if_bxe show it loaded? If so, you can remove the tunable.

Looks like it is loaded indeed:
Code:
root@truenas[~]# kldstat | grep if_bxe
3    1 0xffffffff827e4000   281c30 if_bxe.ko

iXsystems like to compile the drivers statically into the kernel for some reason, so your if_bxe is already included.
See https://github.com/freenas/build/blob/master/build/profiles/freenas/kernel/TRUENAS.amd64

There must be some other reason why your card is not recognised.
Hmm OK. Any idea on how to best troubleshoot this?
I tried a "pciconf -lv" and my device not shown. For Network devices, I only get the 1Gbps card listed below:
Code:
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'

device     = 'Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V'

class      = network

subclass   = ethernet

Samuel Tai

Remember to delete the if_bxe.ko module you loaded in /boot/kernel. dmesg will show the boot console messages. Does this shed any light on your card?

habouji

Cadet
No luck, not showing up. I might have another of these cards from a different system; I'll try tomorrow.

Samuel Tai

Does the card work in a Windows box? Did you see if it works at all?

habouji

Cadet
No luck, not showing up. I might have another of these cards from a different system; I'll try tomorrow.
Fortunately the spare card works fine. I see bxe0 and bxe1 in Network -> Interfaces.

vendor = 'Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries'
device = 'NetXtreme II BCM57712 10 Gigabit Ethernet'
class = network
subclass = ethernet

Unfortunately, my original card seems dead..

Thanks for the help!