Load Tunable: How do I get the tar file into the directory on the server

Status
Not open for further replies.

williedewet

Cadet
Hi, I need help in getting a driver tar file into the correct FreeNas folder to allow for the Tunable function to read the file. Unfortunately I only know enough about command prompt code to get into trouble. I literally have been searching for days but to no avail. I know the answer should be simplistic. In principle this is what I need to do: 1) Mount the MsDos flash drive containing the tar file. 2) Create a folder on the FreeNas server where I can extract the tar file. 3) Move the tar file from the flash drive to the folder. 4) Untar the file. 5) Go the Tunables section under the System menu and input the tar file name and "Yes" to get it to load.

I'm not able to create a directory on the Server to mount the MsDos flash drive too? When I type "mkdir /wdw" from the root I get " read-only file system". When I move to /usr and then execute "sudo MkDir /wdw" it again tells me I am not allowed to do it. I'll appreciate any help I can get. Thanks. Willie

gpsguy

I'm still not sure quite what you're doing, but these commands should allow you to write to the media.

1. mount -uw /
  2. Make your changes
  3. mount -r /

ProtoSD

MVP
Before this spirals into a disaster, why don't you tell us where this tar file came from, what it's for etc. etc., my gut tells me that you have some Linux driver that you're hoping will just magically work. If that's the case, it will not work...

And BTW, the commands that gpsguy was kind enough to post are in the FAQ.

williedewet

Cadet
Before this spirals into a disaster, why don't you tell us where this tar file came from, what it's for etc. etc., my gut tells me that you have some Linux driver that you're hoping will just magically work. If that's the case, it will not work...

And BTW, the commands that gpsguy was kind enough to post are in the FAQ.

====

Thank you for taking time out to help me. I am truly lost and have spent days trying to find out what to do. I am an accountant by profession which is not helping matters. After 6 weeks of pain caused mainly by 96GB of brand new corsair ram, I've decided to try and move back to FreeNas, which I've been using for a couple of years on 4 old PCs. I now am running 4 new Asus P9X79 WS boards and would like to use all 8 Sata ports for disks. Two of these ports are Marvell 9128 architecture and FNas 8.3.1 is not seeing these two Sata channels. I looked in the Bios and couldn't identify any options that may aid identification by FNas. I googled and found a post saying the Marvell Sata drivers are not automatically recognized and requires a driver to be loaded. I found a driver on Marvell's site (which admittedly appears old and raised my suspicion). I know I can load drivers through the Tunables functions in the GUI. In short - I am trying to get that Marvell sata driver to load. This is the driver: mykbsd70x64-10.60.1.3.tgz

Furthermore, I will be running a pci dual intel 350 NiC which I intend to aggregate - hoping this will not require Tunables.

Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still not sure quite what you're doing, but these commands should allow you to write to the media.

1. mount -uw /
  2. Make your changes
  3. mount -r /

Thank you gpsguy. Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.