Load settings partially?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanopete

Dabbler
Hi,

I just moved my hdd's to a new and better system, ECC and all :smile:
However the NIC's are plural on this system and there's IPMI.
That is probably why freenas network stops working when I load the settings from my old system.

I can fresh install freebsd on the new system and then import my zfs tank, everything works fine.
But when I then load my old settings, it reboots and the network is down, which also means I don't have the GUI to help me.

Is there any way to partially load the configuration (everything except network flag) or maybe just view what I have in that saved configuration db file. I only see funny numbers when I open it with a text editor :smile:

Any help greatly appreciated
Cheers!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,

I just moved my hdd's to a new and better system, ECC and all :)
However the NIC's are plural on this system and there's IPMI.
That is probably why freenas network stops working when I load the settings from my old system.

I can fresh install freebsd on the new system and then import my zfs tank, everything works fine.
But when I then load my old settings, it reboots and the network is down, which also means I don't have the GUI to help me.

Is there any way to partially load the configuration (everything except network flag) or maybe just view what I have in that saved configuration db file. I only see funny numbers when I open it with a text editor :)

Any help greatly appreciated
Cheers!

Google 'how to open sqlite file"

nanopete

Dabbler
Sqlitebrowser did the trick, thank you :)

I opened my config from new install (working network) and old config from older hardware in sqlitebrowser, removed the network* entries from the old config, dragged and dropped network* entries from new config to old config and saved this new mixed config file. Using this file made everything work as wanted on new hardware.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You realize you could have done it all via IPMI and the local console menu options? Networking configuration (as well as resetting) is there. :P

nanopete

Dabbler
Hmm maybe you could cyberjock, I couldn't :smile:
I did try selecting the console menu option "1) configure network interfaces" and tried selecting each of the two possibilities there (igb0 and igb1 as I recall), without success.
I also did "ifconfig" in the shell from my old and the new config and noticed that with my old configuration there was a lot more entries, epair's and a bridge-something. So I thought my old jails network configurations were somehow messing up the network on the new hardware and decided to just do new network config with otherwise old system config. Without knowing the gears here, that worked. :smile:
I guess one could have reconfigured the network from the shell command line somehow.
Anyway, I'm happy to have learned the config db-files are in Sqlite format and editable with sqlitebrowser.

Status
Not open for further replies.