Linux ZFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, it was merged a few weeks ago. The main reason it's not in FreeBSD yet is because it still needs to be ported to the FreeBSD crypto framework from the Illumos one (which was ported to Linux for this).

KrisBee

Wizard
ZFS has been an option on Ubuntu for some time, as well as on other flavors of Linux. It works well there too. If you want a Linux-based ZFS NAS, there are already other options on the market like OpenMediaVault and Rockstor (currently using btrfs, but will be switching to ZFS soon). Suggest you check them out.

Edit: Well, I thought OpenMediaVault used ZFS, but though their website lists a number of filesystems, ZFS isn't among them.

Can't find any public statements saying Rockstor might offer zfs in a future release. I wouldn't trust btrfs.

OMV installer doesn't offer zfs on root, but one of their plugin extras does allow the user to create and manipulate zfs objects at the Webui.

Installing zfs to root in Linux Distros is convoluted, but zfs on linux is making signiifcant progress with release of zfs-0.7.0 (now up to zfs-0.7.3)

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/releases/tag/zfs-0.7.0

Has FreeNAS has already benefited from some of these developments being ported to BSD?

One popular Linux based system, the Proxmox 5 virtualisation platform, does install on ZFS root but I think the CLI is needed for most of the zfs maintenance. If, or when, bhyve can offer everything KVM does, FreeNAS as a VM platform could impress.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can't find any public statements saying Rockstor might offer zfs in a future release.
I thought I'd seen something semi-official, but the best I can find so far is this.
I wouldn't trust btrfs.
Agreed.

I could have sworn I'd run across other Linux-based NAS distributions that used ZFS, but I'm not finding them now. Maybe the mind is going.

One popular Linux based system, the Proxmox 5 virtualisation platform, does install on ZFS root but I think the CLI is needed for most of the zfs maintenance.
True, though very little ongoing maintenance is needed--set up a cron job for the scrubs and you're 99% done.

KrisBee

Wizard
Well, I don't have a great need for it, but i installed Proxmox 5 as a VM under KVM/virt-manger on my debian desktop to get an idea of what it offered. As of now, PVE is on zfs-0.7.2

As KVM supports nested virtualisation on my hardware it's a useful learning tool.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Has FreeNAS has already benefited from some of these developments being ported to BSD?
Yes, Linux has been the source of some recent ZFS improvements. Upcoming ones include even better scrub/resolved, encryption and the DRAID vdev option, IIRC.

tfran1990

Patron
I look forward to a stable ZFS on Windows (It'd be fantastic if Microsoft went "why are we wasting money developing our own OS if we can invest the same cash and get something that has been working for over a decade

yes. i was thinking that myself. is win10 using NTFS still? they made some fixes between win8,win8.1 but it seems is if they forgot to update some under looked functionality.....but it looks cool and is easy to use!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Arwen

MVP
I could have sworn I'd run across other Linux-based NAS distributions that used ZFS, but I'm not finding them now. Maybe the mind is going.
The Netgear business NAS line, ReadyDATA, uses ZFS, and I would guess Linux kernels. (Their home NAS line, ReadyNAS, did use Linux kernels. Though I don't know if that is true any more.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Waco

Explorer
Yes, Linux has been the source of some recent ZFS improvements. Upcoming ones include even better scrub/resolved, encryption and the DRAID vdev option, IIRC.
Yup. I'm impatiently awaiting sequential (LBA ordered) scrub/resilver along with DRAID (though I don't agree with some of the architectural decisions made thus far).

For anyone considering the use of SMR (shingled magnetic recording) HDDs, sequential resilver will be a godsend. I manage SMR arrays and it takes a hellacious amount of workload and config tuning just to get resilver times to be tolerable.

averyfreeman

Contributor
@danb35,
That said, I do like that SSH is carefully updated on one OS, (one of the BSDs, FreeBSD?), then that version is ported.

It's OpenBSD! A few ubiquitous technologies have started there and moved elsewhere. OpenSSH, LibreSSH, pf, httpd. I'm not sure if it's because they're technical marvels or because the overall OS is such a bear to use for most people. But they definitely trim the fat as a mission statement.

Sorry for revival of necrothread, just had to chime in with useless trivia...

Status
Not open for further replies.