Link two jails out through VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

STREBLO

Patron
I have a pia account and have used it in the past as a proxy but not as a VPN . I want to setup a VPN so that I can send traffic from one jail out through a different jail that is running a VPN. I have a PIA account and have used it in the past as a proxy but not as a VPN. I've been trying to find somewhere where there is an example of someone doing this but have found it hard to find any good examples. If I wanted to be able to do this using only FreeNAS, what would probably be the best way?

Part of the reason I ask is because I have seen people recommending not to use PF with FreeNAS. Is that a recommendation because PF is more of a hardware device, or is that a recommendation to not connect jail that all using a firewall?

I have found people talking about making an OpenVPN jail and then using ipfw to send the traffic to the VPN jail from the other jail I want secured. Should the OpenVPN just be set up like any other VPN? I want use the VPN not to access my computer but only to send my data out anonymously for things such as torrenting. I am not too familiar with VPNs and was wondering, is there a difference between setting OpenVPN up so that you can have access from another location to your LAN and setting it up so that your traffic seems anonymous? If I setup a VPN to stop people from knowing my IP, what is there that stops them from using the VPN to access my LAN?

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...g-up-transmission-with-openvpn-and-pia.24566/

There is a difference in what is a CLIENT and what is a SERVER. For a server, you are listening for connections to come in for your traffic. For a client, you are connecting to a server to tunnel your traffic over. COMPLETELY different ends of the spectrum here. The difference is that if you set up an OPENVPN connection to a PIA from a jail, you are a CLIENT. There is nothing listening on your end to respond to requests for access. There is no ports that need to be forwarded.

I am not sure what you mean by not using PF with FreeNAS? You mean PF the firewall or PFSense the router/firewall appliance?

STREBLO

Patron
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...g-up-transmission-with-openvpn-and-pia.24566/

There is a difference in what is a CLIENT and what is a SERVER. For a server, you are listening for connections to come in for your traffic. For a client, you are connecting to a server to tunnel your traffic over. COMPLETELY different ends of the spectrum here. The difference is that if you set up an OPENVPN connection to a PIA from a jail, you are a CLIENT. There is nothing listening on your end to respond to requests for access. There is no ports that need to be forwarded.

I am not sure what you mean by not using PF with FreeNAS? You mean PF the firewall or PFSense the router/firewall appliance?
When I said ipfw I was referring to the firewall, when I mentioned PF I was referring to the hardware device .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.