Latest update breaks opening CIFS common shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

aookeopinetree

Dabbler
I updated freenas to the latest version of 9.10 stable and I am having an issue with opening my common shares which work perfectly fine when I was on the previous build. The issue is, when I type in the correct password to access the user folder it is rejected in the common folders and I am asked to enter the password again even though it worked fine before. Typing in the correct password still does not let me in. When I revert to an older update of 9.10 stable everything works as expected again. That seems to point to the issue being the update and not the shares or zfs set up as it was working fine in Freenas 7, 8 and 9.10 up until the latest update.

Setup: HP N36L with 8gb ram running FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605240427 when it works and FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606270534 when it doesn't work.
sharing service: CIFS
client machine: Winblows 10 pro build 10586. no active directory, no user accounts except the mandatory local one.

drive structure:
  • user1, user2, user3 etc (individual passwords)
  • music, movies, games (common shares, accepts any of the above passwords)
  • temporary (guess access, no password)
permissions:
  • user1 - user1/user1
  • music - nobody/common
users: user1, user2, user3
groups: user1, user2, user3, common

Methodogy: This is my freenas machine when it's working and running FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605240427. I turn on the freenas machine then jump over to my winblows 10 machine, doubleclick on freenas and one of the user folders. I enter in the password and I can now access that user folder only, the common shares and the temp folder. This is working as expected.

When I am running FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606270534, after i type in the password for one of the user folders, I can access that user folder and the temp folder but I cannot access any of the common folders at all. (Temp folder access still works). When I ssh into the machine using putty and one of the user passwords I can access the common folders just fine. That seems to point to the problem being with CIFS in the latest build.

I can provide more information on how my shares are setup so others can try to replicate this issue. I had a look through the forums and the bug reports and I couldnt find anyone with the same problem. but the only thing I'm changing here is the freenas build and nothing in my setup so I'm sure the issue is with the latest update.

Last edited:

aookeopinetree

Dabbler
I did some more testing and I think I found what the issue is. When I make a file on the freenas machine with the permission nobody/nogroup it can't be read/written by a normal user. My common folders have the permission set to nobody too. When I changed the permission of the file to user1/nogroup I could access the file fine. Isn't nobody/nogroup supposed to be read/write to everyone? It was working fine in FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605240427.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Isn't nobody/nogroup supposed to be read/write to everyone?
The name "nobody" is rather suggestive of "nobody's supposed to have this right".

The proper method is for every object to have a real owner (regular user, admin, whatever). From there, the owner is in charge of maintaining permissions according to their desires.

aookeopinetree

Dabbler
The proper method is for every object to have a real owner (regular user, admin, whatever). From there, the owner is in charge of maintaining permissions according to their desires.

Thats not really possible on guest access where there isn't any owner. But what you wrote made me wonder what happens on my temporary share when I don't sign in. So I tried it and I can create a file which is read/writable and it is automatically given the permissions nobody/nogroup as I would expect. That means what I wrote in my second post is not the correct assumption of the cause.

So my issue still persists, if I log in by CIFS as a user on the latest build I can access the user folder fine but I cannot access the common folder. If I ssh in as a user I can access the user folder and the common shares like I would expect and is the same behaviour which I had in build FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605240427.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thats not really possible on guest access where there isn't any owner.
Sure it is, make a user "guest" with a trivial password.

Note that "disable password" also disables access to shares.

aookeopinetree

Dabbler
In some scenarios having a password on it isn't possible for example when that share is accessed by the tv, consoles, settop boxes etc.

Note that "disable password" also disables access to shares.

Back to the specific problem that I'm having. I have no trouble accessing the guest share, it is the one with the password that I can't access which can be accessed fine on a earlier build of Freenas.

j14r

Cadet
I updated freenas to the latest version of 9.10 stable and I am having an issue with opening my common shares which work perfectly fine when I was on the previous build.

I'm noticing a similar problem. While I haven't tracked it down completely, I think it may have something to do with all groups not being applied to the users when they connect via samba. As a test, does it act differently if you set the users' primary group to be the shared group rather than their individual one? In your example, are things different if you edit the users to have `common` as their primary group?

Status
Not open for further replies.