Late Intro, Build in Production!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpaca

Dabbler
I definitely have lurked here for a while and asked a few questions (good and bad) without posting intro, catching up now.

After combing through the forums, start guides and reading the manual....I have a pretty nice performing build into production for about 3 months now.

-Supermicro 24 Bay 4U Chassis with SAS dual-expander
-2x Intel X5650 processor
-96GB ECC Ram
-LSI 6GB/s SAS HBA
-Intel dual port 1Gb NIC for Public/FTP access
-Chelsio 10Gb NIC for private network NFS share to web servers, etc
-2x Intel S3700 200GB (provisioned as 8GB) mirrored SLOG in internal bays

Storage drives are all matching Seagate 4TB SAS drives, added in batches of 6 as RaidZ2 4+2 vdev. Currently have 12 drives installed (2 vdevs). The FreeNAS box is primarily used as the bulk NFS data store for a few web applications and databases I host. No VM storage or ISCSI involved. The storage network is only a 1Gb network, but the switch's 10Gb uplinks to the FreeNAS box do seem to be valuable under highest-load.

Not going to get crazy posting a ton of throughput numbers but FWIW:

NFS reads (mixed loads/sizes) almost always peg my 1Gb network 100-112MB/s consistently

NFS writes (sync always) are a bit slower at 85-90MB/s...BUT pre-SLOG (sync always) were hovering at 45MB/s

My day to day workloads are basically small sequential writes with large random read activity and I have been totally satisfied with performance give the bottle neck of the network. I will say that adding the second 6-drive vdev did seem to improve the random read performance a bit. I haven't measured any of this and frankly don't care at the moment. In my real production world, FreeNAS (after reading the manual) has been a win!

Next on the horizon is investigating a 10Gb network upgrade across the board and perhaps playing around with one of the Intel P3700 NVME monsters. Will keep the community posted as to my findings/failings

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.