LAN web app with access to rest of the pool

krzysztofw

Cadet
Hello!
I'm new to Truenas and have some (probably) trivial questions.
I have big set of private pictures, and I was always thinking about some custom web app to organize these in some categories, tags, events etc.
I'm aware of plugin named "FAMP" but in my understanding it is locked in jail, therefore I can't access rest of the pool from it.
Is it possible to launch php+mysql app that has access to rest of the pool?
At this moment I'm not thinking about opening it outside of LAN, so this should not be considered.
Reasoning behind this is that I want to upload files by SMB to easy, shallow path and manage it by my custom web app.
Is it possible or I need to store files in jail? Or someone have some better idea for my problem?

So what you need to do is to mount your pictures to your FAMP jail. Its really pretty easy and well covered in the manual so I wont highlight the steps, but ask here if something doesnt mesh. You can also mount the same directories to whatever PC you are using and edit same as ever, copy/paste/move/remove etc via a samba cifs share.

This will not only be useful in your particular case dealing with pictures but several jails might need access to that data and this is how you do it. Nextcloud, FAMP, backups, etc.

Speaking of Nextcloud, its a great addition to a properly configured FAMP stack as is Wordpress. Wordpress makes what you are wanting to do wonderfully easy, and in most cases its 100% free opensource. Check it out.

Nextcloud also handles pictures very well. Good luck.

Also you said you didnt want to expose this to the internet, but it didnt really make sense because thats what a famp stack kind of does. Properly configured this is ok, but go slow. Of course you could just run over the lan too by not forwarding port 80 and or 443 to that jail until your ready.

krzysztofw

Cadet
Now that you said about mounting directories all this jail thing have more sense to me. I'll make some tests after the weekend.

I'll think about external access later, when I'll get more comfortable with truenas and gain some knowledge about networking. I'm too afraid about exposing my files at this moment.