Kudo's to adding the Docs into the FreeNAS build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I would like to thank the individual who entered feature request #7999 and the FreeNAS team for incorporating the user manual into the software. This really makes a better product as we can reference the user manual witch goes with the specific version of FreeNAS we are running, and we can tell the idiots out there who refuse to find the user manual that they now have it on their system so no excuses (but I'm sure there will be some).

-Mark

gpsguy

Yes, I'm glad to hear that the manual is built-in and the users have no excuse for not reading the manual.

However, I still prefer the PDF version and will continue to build them.

D

dlavigne

Yup, I think it's pretty cool. I'm sure there will be subsequent feature requests to have the docs open in a separate tab or window so you can read them while configuring something.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yup, I think it's pretty cool. I'm sure there will be subsequent feature requests to have the docs open in a separate tab or window so you can read them while configuring something.
If you would like, I can submit that feature request because as you said people will want to have it open while configuring the system however both Internet Explorer and FireFox allow that by right clicking on the link in the documentation and selecting open in a new window. Of course they could create a link to http://freenas/docs/freenas.html and just use that. There are many ways to make this work as-is.

D

dlavigne

Please do and post the issue number. We already have methods in the middleware to allow it (eg clicking on Train Descriptions in Update does this), we just didn't tie the Doc button into that method yet.

joeschmuck

Old Man

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, I'm glad to hear that the manual is built-in and the users have no excuse for not reading the manual.

However, I still prefer the PDF version and will continue to build them.

I totally agree. I love the PDF because I can print it out and use it when the WebGUI is unavailable or the server is offline.

...both Internet Explorer and FireFox allow that by right clicking on the link in the documentation and selecting open in a new window.
Or even simpler: just Ctrl+click the link.

Robert Riedel

Dabbler
Hi, I am a newb to FreeNAS and the printed copy has saved me during my first setup. I made sure I had it when I needed it since it was printed. If you don't have another computer you can use when installing FreeNAS (wife watching Netflix on the other computer) then a printed manual is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.