Kingston datatraveler 112 - Extraction and mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndEil

Cadet
Hello guys !

I'm planning on having some fun trying NAS right, and at the same time get some old hardware out of the way
so, i downloaded the FreeNAS-8.3.1.blabla.img.xz file right, this because i dont have an extra CD-rom around. And well, i tried putting this onto a Kingston Datatraveler using the docs to help me out. And it did give me some output in the terminal, but suddenly the poor USB-stick disappeared, and now it wont mount, and it wont boot from it either... So.. Anyone help me out, please? :) Checksum of the file was correct, and the USB is brand new..today :(

Thanks!
-AndEil

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What happens when you plug it into another machine? In Windows, if you can't see it in Administrator Tools -> Computer Management then the USB stick is probably bad.

AndEil

Cadet
Im trying to boot the stick from the laptop(HP pavillion g6) im writing from now, but this isnt the future-NAS though, im just trying to get everything ready, im waiting for my brother to come by with the last parts for the NAS-machine.

EDIT: i guess i can also add that im using Ubuntu at the moment to try to make this USB stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.