Just Landed ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisBee

Wizard
Hello,

I’m a retiree who is trying to keep their brain alive by learning something new and making use of FreeNAS. Hopefully, I’ll prove I’m not such an old dog after all and join the band of happy users.

I’ve successfully used Linux for a while, without any great technical expertise, both on the desktop and re-used an older AMD PC as a simple headless backup server of the home. In the last couple of weeks I’ve used the AMD PC, which happens to support ECC Ram, for a FreeNAS install and have gradually become more familiar with its use.

I finally decided to get a real server and have just bought a HPE Mircoserver Gen8 with a Celeron 1610T and 4GB ECC RAM. Current UK offers make this entry level machine about the same price as a low end 2-bay DS216j Synology NAS. Obviously, the microserver will consume more power, but it has far greater potential. I’ve already increased the RAM to 8GB and there are a number of possible CPU upgrades.

At the moment I only wish to have a NAS for central media file storage and backups. I’m not sure what, if any, plugins I’ll use, but with information on this forum and at the slimdevices forum I’ ve built logitech media server (LMS) and have it running in a jail.

It’s early days, and I’m only working with a small 2x2TB mirror before deploying 4X2TB drives either as RAIDZ2 or a pair of mirrors. But I’ve already hit a problem after moving the mirror between the machines. My CIFS shares have become read-only after I attempted to re-configure the SMB service options. Something like this ? https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/cifs-shares-become-read-only-to-windows-clients.34837/

I suspect I need to re-think my share strategy after getting into bad habits with Linux where I used SMB/CIFS shares in a preference to NFS and everything just seemed to work OK from Win7 or Linux with ext4 filesystems on the samba server.

So the challenge begins …

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

KrisBee

Wizard

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wanted to avoid the "export pool - reinstall freenas - import - upload config" route if possible.
It's a trivial procedure, but what would that gain you? You'd be right back where you started.

KrisBee

Wizard
Straightforward yes, but time consuming. I started with working shares before things went wrong. So I would simply be restoring the status quo. I'm sure it was most likely user error and having CIFS shares with unix permissions was perhaps not a good choice. I believe I have sorted things out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.