Jumbo Frames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you can create a single share and the capacity is over 4TB, you are in RAID0. A loss of either drive is a loss of all data.

Alex31

Dabbler
Well my 2 drives are in a external raid box with a swich on the back, that switch is set to JBod
The external enclosure is connected with an eSata cable to my FreeNas
When i go to Storrage / View volumes i see my 2 drives
The 2 Tb is shown as 1.8 TB and the 3 Tb is shown as 2.7 Tb
The status on both drives is Healty

solarisguy

Guru
Having the switch in a JBOD position should be enough.

However, there is a very good practical test that will give you 100% guarantee, since you really do not know what the enclosure maker was thinking... The process below assumes that you have no data on your hard drives yet.
  • Using the FreeNAS GUI, format one of your drives (let's say 3TB) from the external enclosure as a ZFS volume/pool. Yes, you can use just one drive.
  • Then format the other drive (2TB) from the external enclosure as a separate ZFS volume. Place some data on it.
  • Detach (export) the second drive (2TB) using the FreeNAS GUI without destroying data.
  • Detach (export) the first drive (3TB) using the FreeNAS GUI, but this time destroying data.
  • Shutdown everything (from GUI first).
  • Disconnect the enclosure from your Shuttle PC.
  • Remove the drive with data (2TB) from the enclosure.
  • Connected the drive with data (2TB) to your Shuttle PC using eSATA (and power from the external enclosure).
  • Start FreeNAS.
  • Verify that you can auto-import your ZFS pool using GUI. Can you see the data?
  • Detach (this time destroying data), shutdown, reassemble the original configuration.
P.S.
Unless the value of your data (including the time required to recreate it) is nil, in your enclosure you should have two disks of the same size, in the RAID 1 configuration. Please follow Old Man advice and use UFS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Having the switch in a JBOD position should be enough.

However, there is a very good practical test that will give you 100% guarantee, since you really do not know what the enclosure maker was thinking... The process below assumes that you have no data on your hard drives yet.
  • Using the FreeNAS GUI, format one of your drives (let's say 3TB) from the external enclosure as a ZFS volume/pool. Yes, you can use just one drive.
  • Then format the other drive (2TB) from the external enclosure as a separate ZFS volume. Place some data on it.
  • Detach (export) the second drive (2TB) using the FreeNAS GUI without destroying data.
  • Detach (export) the first drive (3TB) using the FreeNAS GUI, but this time destroying data.
  • Shutdown everything (from GUI first).
  • Disconnect the enclosure from your Shuttle PC.
  • Remove the drive with data (2TB) from the enclosure.
  • Connected the drive with data (2TB) to your Shuttle PC using eSATA (and power from the external enclosure).
  • Start FreeNAS.
  • Verify that you can auto-import your ZFS pool using GUI. Can you see the data?
  • Detach (this time destroying data), shutdown, reassemble the original configuration.
P.S.
Unless the value of your data (including the time required to recreate it) is nil, in your enclosure you should have two disks of the same size, in the RAID 0 configuration. Please follow Old Man advice and use UFS.

Uhm... If the data is valuable, it should be RAID1, also known under ZFS as a mirror.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, joeschmuck is right by suggesting UFS for such a system.

Sure, but I wasn't recommending ZFS, just adding that bit of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.