Jellyfin hardware transcoding with a Intel Xeon E-2324

peteryates

Cadet
Hello,

I'm fairly new to TrueNAS having used it for just a few months, but it's been a joy and other than this slight oddity, it's all worked perfectly.

I use Jellyfin via Truecharts and no GPUs are showing up (see attachment), but my CPU, a Xeon-2324G, definitely supports QuickSync. When I bought it I was under the impression this would work without any extra config. My motherboard is a Asus P12R-I.

I've looked around and there's seemingly lots of conflicting advice, various people saying things like transcoding is generally patchy in Scale, etc - hence my confusion.

Is my problem likely something that will rectify itself with subsequent TrueNAS updates? Were my hardware choices above bad? Should I just stick an nVidia GPU in my NAS?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-11-06 14-25-46.png
    Screenshot from 2023-11-06 14-25-46.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 144

marsb007

Cadet
When you click the gpu.intel.com/i915 dropdown, does it allow you to select 1?

If so, allocate 1 and it should work.

Etorix

Wizard

peteryates

Cadet
The board has C252 chipset. Unfortunately, you need C256 for iGPU passthrough.

This is the piece of information I needed, thank you. I thought I'd checked everything thoroughly but didn't realise iGPU passthrough wasn't a given. I spent ages trying to work out why it wasn't working too.

In the end I bought a Nvidia Quadro P1000 which has been doing the job nicely ever since.