JBOD / Single / Individual Disks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I want to behave as JBOD with zero redundancy, but if a drive fails lose only the data on that drive. I understand the idea of created a 1 drive vdev / 1 vdev pool for every disk, but that can't be presented as a single SMB share can it?
If you want the data to be in a single pool/share, it can't be done with ZFS/TrueNAS. Shares don't follow links (certainly not across filesystems) and can only have a single starting point.

I am well aware of what UnRAID can do in that area, but TrueNAS is not that product and is unlikely to ever be.

You could try to get creative with sub-directory mounts on the client side to make it appear like you're wanting, but that would be an enormous hassle and wouldn't allow those subdirectories to grow beyond the capacity of a single disk.

If you want the data to be in a single pool/share, it can't be done with ZFS/TrueNAS. Shares don't follow links (certainly not across filesystems) and can only have a single starting point.

I am well aware of what UnRAID can do in that area, but TrueNAS is not that product and is unlikely to ever be.

You could try to get creative with sub-directory mounts on the client side to make it appear like you're wanting, but that would be an enormous hassle and wouldn't allow those subdirectories to grow beyond the capacity of a single disk.
Ok thank you. I figured this was going to be the answer.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Shares don't follow links (certainly not across filesystems)
Oh, they do.
Code:
[global]
allow insecure wide links = yes

[share]
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes