Jail write access via CIFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngen33r

Cadet
I am playing around with learning more about Jails and how to use and configure them. I am still noob at this point. I added a 20GB drive to my NAS and set it up with a Jail. I was working through a tutorial to install APACHE 2.4 and all the associated goodies. I was able to search out most of my questions but when I got to the point of editing the httpd.conf I get a permission error. I can access the share and create files on it but I cannot get access to any of the files that were created in the Jail from the shell. I assume it is a user/permission problem.

What I have tried:
Logging in as root from Windows
CHMOD -R 777 to the file and folder
Adding user and UID to the Jail that match the NAS

I am sure it is something simple that I am missing and I am still learning. I choose a separate drive to play on so I can delete the Jail and start over easily without fear of breaking anything else.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
SSH into FreeNAS box
'jls'
'jexec <idOfJail> tcsh'

'ee /path/to/httpd.conf'

do not share out your jail through CIFS and muck with the permissions. set up your server the right way.

ngen33r

Cadet
Thank You added to my notes "DO NOT SHARE JAILS...You will f$%k up the permissions" When I want to play and add some files to Apache what is the best way to send them there. Add storage to the Jail or put a FTP server into the jail?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Adding storage to the jail would be the best way.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Thank You added to my notes "DO NOT SHARE JAILS...You will f$%k up the permissions" When I want to play and add some files to Apache what is the best way to send them there. Add storage to the Jail or put a FTP server into the jail?
If you will be changing files a lot you can add storage.

If it's only every so often, I would setup ssh in the jail and use sftp

Status
Not open for further replies.