Jail?! How?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IonutZ

Contributor
I understand the concept of a Jail... and I configured it per my network range, I just don't understand how FreeBSD / FreeNAS expects to bind an application to the first IP address given by my DHCP server without having an actual physical NIC for that IP??

I'm completely oblivious about how to get this to work lol.

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
IP networking operates at a higher level layer than NIC's. They're independent of each other. It's perfectly legal to have one NIC with multiple IP's.

IonutZ

Contributor
I understand! Thanks for that! I guess my misconception came from the fact that your ISP doesn't give you multiple IP addresses, but internally I guess you can have different applications open multiple IP addresses (I've never had to deal with this before).

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Get rid of the idea that IP=physical nic. Think of a jail as being a virtual machine. Inside that virtual machine it has its own virtual nic. That nic has its own virtual MAC. That virtual nic can send out a request to get an IP address from your router and your router, as well as every other device in your network sees that virtual machine as another machine on the network, regardless if it is physical or not.

If every IP address required another physical nic, virtualization wouldn't be where it is today. A virtual machine host would have as many ports as a network switch....

Status
Not open for further replies.