J3355B shuts down when i340-t4 is connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inxsible

Guru
I got myself a J3355B(new) and RAM(used) for a pfSense install. Tested the RAM and motherboard and everything seems to POST and the RAM showed no errors in Memtest. However when I connect my i340-T4 NIC (used) the machine starts up, shows me the AsRock splash screen and then shuts down. If I remove the card, the board POSTs again.

Does this mean I got a bad card? If so, I might have to start up a Ebay RMA process. Can someone confirm, before i start the RMA process.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Does this mean I got a bad card? If so, I might have to start up a Ebay RMA process.

Sounds like you do not have the opportunity to plug the NIC into another motherboard to see what happens, which would be the first thing I'd try.

Do you know of anyone else using this HW combination (Asrock J3355B, Intel i340-T4)?

Inxsible

Guru
Sounds like you do not have the opportunity to plug the NIC into another motherboard to see what happens, which would be the first thing I'd try.
I could try that, but I'd have to bring down my freenas box to test it. I think I will do just that tonight.

Do you know of anyone else using this HW combination (Asrock J3355B, Intel i340-T4)?
It's the most recommended combination on the pfSense forums for users who have upto 1G speed and who aren't going to run a bunch of packages and want to have a low power solution.

I have a thread on the pfSense board as well.... just that board seems very slow to respond or maybe I am spoiled by the forum here where responses are quick.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
It's the most recommended combination on the pfSense forums for users who have upto 1G speed and who aren't going to run a bunch of packages and want to have a low power solution.

Don't forget to have a look at the motherboard BIOS version and possibly firmware settings in the NIC (e.g. boot options).

Inxsible

Guru
Don't forget to have a look at the motherboard BIOS version and possibly firmware settings in the NIC (e.g. boot options).
Thanks. I already confirmed that the motherboard came with the latest UEFI version (1.3) that's available on the AsRock website for J3355B. And I did double check the PCIE is enabled. I will go through all the settings one more time tonight just to be sure.

Inxsible

Guru
Turns out, that I had to remove the power cables completely from the PSU in order for the card to be recognized. D'uh !

Status
Not open for further replies.