iXsystems won't create migration from Corral to FreeNAS 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus33

Patron
It's always about the $MONEY$ brother...
After making a very large investment, at some point, the folks who run the company decided that they cannot reasonably expect a return on that investment. In business this is known as "cutting your losses". The explanation is, at this point in time a company stops the bleeding, heals their monetary wounds and tries to salvage what is left of the fiscal year while still maintaining support for their open source project:cool:

Companies look at statistical data to help make decisions on which aspects of their operations get funding. I read earlier today that data has confirmed that a great percentage of users have already gone back
successfully to the 9.10 Stable version, are you aware of this post? Based on this reasoning, this makes perfect business sense to not waste funds for developing a migration path for such a small number of users. The concept is Business 101, and again, it's all about the money... :(

Normally i agree with you and the reasons for dropping corral are valid but not the reasons it eventually was dropped.

This is more office politics then business at this point and that's going to have a lasting effect.
In corral there was some short sighted choices made but by and large it was full of great ideas.

But its be completely dropped for the new one based on the 9.10 system.
A perfect examaple there talking about keeping jails which has no logical bases what so ever since though its stable and has low overhead its been dead for ages with no development what so ever.

In business you take what works , whats in development and whats popular to develop from and this is not whats happening here.

Hopefully they take from corral what was best and popular then move on from there.
When people have mentioned this they locked threads or deleted which has just made things worse.

At this point the customer base is feeling betrayed and is worried which is a place you never want them to be but they seem incapable of seeing this.

Hopefully they get it together before they drive away anymore business but itx as its is now is in a serious place.
As it is now its a mess and frankly its not hard for us on a business end to see this happening.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
A perfect examaple there talking about keeping jails which has no logical bases what so ever since though its stable and has low overhead its been dead for ages with no development what so ever.
That is simply not true. It won't be any less false if you repeat it.

John Rushford

Dabbler
I don't believe the VMs will be compatible. If they are, they should have stated that in their ticket.
They are compatible and can be migrated. I was on Corral and created 3 vm's there. After coming back to FreeNAS 11, I have been able to start all 3 using a simple bash script. See this post: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-11-vms.53801/ The only reason I could not start them with the FreeNAS 11 VM UI is because the 3 vm's I created use the BHYVELOAD or GRUB boot loaders which are currently not options in the FreeNAS 11 VM UI. I created a feature request to have those loaders supported along with the ability to configure bridged nics, I had to do that by hand. Here is my feature request: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23500

Magnus33

Patron
That is simply not true. It won't be any less false if you repeat it.

There more going on here then you know.
If you think it was just one person leavening because he was bored or they decided to drop corral because of some poor coding choices?

Whats been coming down the line for some time now from the business end was obvious to many .

Its never that simple or that tidy in business or i have much less white hair.
You are the people who drive this and you can settle for the legacy code with a few extra features bottled on along with some old out dated ones.
Or you can push them to evolve to drop useless features and make something fresh and new.

Corral was far from perfect but it did grasp the idea that things had to chance and you can't remain stagnant.
Its scary it sometimes a major pain but its a must in any business.

This isn't just about the software as whats happening has major business consequences.

Now its not all bad there is good with this.

Kris Moore method of getting things done is more controlled and involved a lot more qa automated testing then been done before.
This has been badly needed in freenas development as silly bugs where slipping through like the plex ui corral bug which should have never been there.
Also the choice of the new ui makes since too since development in this area is cutting edge.

You need to push for what you want of they are going to likely sit on what it is now..so its really up to you.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can I at least mount the img file of the old vms and boot it? other config can be easily redone.
Yes, though file-based VMs weren't working yet, last I checked. Zvol-based VMs are fine.

mow4cash

Contributor
Is docker implementation similar to how it's done in Corral still in the works? Will the Freenas/Docker repo still be used? I'm having trouble finding info on containers in the roadmap to follow. The forums seem to be all over the place now. I found it easier to track what was happening when Corral was being built.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

jpringle03

Dabbler
I wonder if we will see FreeNAS 11 drop tonight. I think May 1st was the expected release date, right?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think the RC will be out "today", for whatever value of today they're using. The plan seems to be for three weeks of RC.

Stux

MVP
I think the RC will be out "today", for whatever value of today they're using. The plan seems to be for three weeks of RC.

Sounds like a good plan

Stanri010

Explorer
looks like it was bumped to may 22nd. I really miss Jordan's status updates. He always kept us in the loop. The new team in charge isn't as good as updating us with whats going on as often.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You seem to have missed the mostly-weekly updates posted in this forum...

Stanri010

Explorer
You seem to have missed the mostly-weekly updates posted in this forum...
The last one was April 21st. its been nearly a week and a half and they missed their "deadline" without a peep.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not unusual for status updates to take a backseat very close to major milestones. Happens in every project.

Stanri010

Explorer
While I understand they might be busy. All I'm saying is Jordan was always on top of updating us with how things were going and the Kris or whoever delegated to the forums could provide updates perhaps not always in official announcements or stickies but just generally what's going on.

fracai

Guru
I'm more than happy to give up timely status updates in the name of stable software.
They've only "missed" their status update by half a week!

Stanri010

Explorer
I'm more than happy to give up timely status updates in the name of stable software.
They've only "missed" their status update by half a week!

Perhaps when everything is fine and work as usual but I'd argue the situation is anything but that. Many people are stuck on Corral looking for a path forward for their docker containers and even others are looking for alternative NAS OS because of this debacle. Communication is key in these situations otherwise, you risk alienating some of your user base. The FreeNAS team has eroded their trust with a lot of people and they should be doing everything to try to calm and inform people. There's been virtually nothing from Jeremy from marketing or the development team.

I'm certainly in the long haul for 11.1 when dockers comes back to FreeNAS but I'm just saying, people are definitely watching what iX Systems is doing.

Sparx

Contributor
Yes, thanks. I'm thinking about OpenMediaVault. I think I'll try tonight when the family is in bed and not using Plex :)

Regards.
If you dont mind constantly redoing every one of your shared folders just about every time you reboot your server. Its a good choice =)
Perhaps it was just my openmediavault.

blautens

Cadet
If you dont mind constantly redoing every one of your shared folders just about every time you reboot your server. Its a good choice =)
Perhaps it was just my openmediavault.
I'm going to speculate it was something particular to your installation of OMV. As part of my job I have been reviewing/testing storage options (mostly enterprise, but I like to stretch the boundaries) for the last two years. And while I'm not looking at my notes for details, I do recall that I never saw that problem. I do not recall the version, but it was about 18 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.