iXSystems FreeNAS mini compontents

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavaScriptDude

Dabbler
Hello all,

Does anyone have access to the components list for the new FreeNAS Mini? I'm really interested in seeing what motherboard and cards (if any) are used.

I would like to get a mini for myself but it's still a bit out of my budget for a home system. Seeing the components may help me understand the value of the FreeNAS Mini.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I own one also, and it is totally worth just buying the box instead of parting it out yourself.

The motherboard is an AsRock C2750D4I.

JKman

Explorer
i'd certainly recommend. don't think you'd save any more $$$ parting it out yourself; maybe you buy the diskless and supply your own hdd's, then upgrade capacities/memory later as required. they use good components and since they buy wholesale, i imagine that offsets most of the labor cost for assembly and burn-in. plus you get the warranty from them. just finding a case as nice and small as the mini is difficult. you probably realize this already if you've done any research yet.

if you do go with the mini, the only advise i can give is to open the case and ensure everything is hooked up correctly. they wired the case fan wrong and i didn't realize until a few days later when i started getting SMART errors. it was easily correctable just by looking at the included manual, and so far iXsystems has been working with me on resolving the situation.

gpsguy

warri

Guru
While it looks similar, it is definitely different to the original one pictured in the FreeNAS Mini images. I think gpsguy is right and it is an Ablecom CS-M50.

For comparison:
- Picture of Ablecom CS-M50
- Picture of FreeNAS Mini case
- Picture of "ITX-S4"

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It is *definitely* an Ablecom CS-M50. Very very nice case by the way. High res pictures I took should be available publicly before the end of the weekend.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What's the current status of the Marvell controllers on C2750D4I? I heard they were being problematic.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just out of curiosity, which CPU is in this item? I can't believe the specs don't specify it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yea, I just looked it up, didn't realize it was integrated with the MB. Atom CPU that is very capable of transcoding too? I like the idea but a bit skeptical. It would be nice to see a complete set of benchmarks on it utilizing four and using 12 (for future proofing aspects) WD Red drives.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Since it can dedicate a bunch of cores for transcoding and a few more for ZFS/network operations, my own skepticism is somewhat tempered. Anandtech's benchmarks suggest that in some video tasks it's competitive with the i3 4330, while in others it lags far behind, so I'm not quite sure what to expect of this...

xcom

Contributor
Since it can dedicate a bunch of cores for transcoding and a few more for ZFS/network operations, my own skepticism is somewhat tempered. Anandtech's benchmarks suggest that in some video tasks it's competitive with the i3 4330, while in others it lags far behind, so I'm not quite sure what to expect of this...

I transcode, dump over nfs, torrent, and have crashplan running doing a backup...

No issues what so ever!

joeschmuck

Old Man
I transcode, dump over nfs, torrent, and have crashplan running doing a backup...

No issues what so ever!
That is good to know. Makes the Atom CPU sound good.

xcom

Contributor
That is good to know. Makes the Atom CPU sound good.

This are not normal Atom Processors and I think this is what makes the difference... They finally focused on making a atom soc server class.
And truly, it has lived to every single expectation and more.

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
Hey everyone,

Reviving an old thread, but... I've been racking my brain, and I just can't see any difference, other than the hotswap bays, between the Ablecom CS-M50 (whose bays match that of the FreeNAS Mini) and the Supermicro CSE-721TQ-250B (whose bays don't match the FreeNAS Mini's).

Does anyone know what's up with those two being so similar? Could it be that they're the same case?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Supermicro is probably outsourcing it and getting it customized to fit their line.

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.