I've completely borked my samba shares when I went to FreeNAS-11.3-U1

BeepDog

Dabbler
I'm not really sure what I did, but I at first got bit by this bug: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-105241

I think that caused the SAMBA update to not properly update users, or properly migrate something, I'm not sure.

I found many different posts about how to recover when things are borked, and they're about deleting files, which I found in /var/db/system/samba4, but I didn't find the necessary ix-pre-samba service, nor could I figure out how to update it.

So I guess my question. I've got my users in LDAP, and the system boots up with those users, so they're locally available. I'd like to use those unix accounts as the samba accounts, so I can then hook up a samba password to them. It'd be even better if I could delegate the password handling directly to LDAP, but I tried that before and failed horribly.

How do I reset my samba users and groups and everything, so I can start fresh without reinstalling the whole thing? I don't mind trying to figure out my setup steps again, I got it working once, but right now I can't seem to get *anything* working.

Thanks in advance!

Apollo

Wizard
I think you should look on the Windows side as the source of the issue.
Before messing things up, I would suggest you start by creating a new user account and new dataset just to make it the base line of your test.

It should be straight forward creating a new dataset, a new user, a new share to the dataset and assign the permission of the dataset to the new user.
Then, after a while, the share should be made available. It could take minutes.
From there you should explore what works and doesn't and start from there.

BeepDog

Dabbler
It *might* be windows, but several reboots, and unmapping and attempted mapping of drives doesn't seem to be helping.

Additionally, I get logs from log.smbd that say that my user is not found.

I'm pretty sure the server side of things is where the problem is at this point. I would like to know how I can reset it, and I can simply recreate my samba setup.

Apollo

Wizard
You can try creating a temporary user in Freenas and set dataset permission to that user where the SMB share points to.

BeepDog

Dabbler
Okay, I did do that, and this time windows was able to authenticate, but the user doesn't actually have permissions to the share, which makes sense.

The groups are managed in LDAP, and this local user doesn't exist in that LDAP group. I could probably add that username, so that it does show up in the group proper.

The problem remains that I need the FreeNAS local Samba User/Password database to be repopulated with the users that are seen in LDAP.

How do I do that?