Issues with sharing on CIFS and AFP (errors when copying files)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis86

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask for you help with the following matter. I have a HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver which is running the latest FreeNas version 9.3 Stable. Hardware specs:

CPU - Pentium G2020T 2.50GHz, 2GB ECC RAM
HDDs: SAMSUNG 200GBs SATA drive
WD Red 1TB SATA drive

I was able to setup sharing with CIFS and AFT, also I was able to setup Plex and Transmissions with no issues on the SAMSUNG drive. However when I recently bought the WD Red drive and tried to setup a CIFS and AFP shares the issues started. I am able to setup the shares but when I try to copy files over to this drive the transfers starts and after a while it just stops and I get various error messages either that I don't have permissions (sometimes the OS crashes altogether and I have to perform a restart) or the file that I am trying to copy is already in use (which is not correct since I don't have it opened or used by another program). I know that FreeNas is RAM hungry however I was wondering if my problem solely resides in the fact that I don't have enough RAM or if its something that I have setup incorrectly?

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Many thanks,
Luis

stefanb

Patron
Hi,

less ram could be an issue, CIFS & AFP on the same Dataset also.
I would try to disable AFP to see if this would fix the problem.

S.

Luis86

Cadet
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply. I tried leaving only CIFS however when copying over folders from my Mac onto the CIFS share I noticed the folder appears faded and I am unable to access its contents. When copying over the files directly onto the folders created on CIFS, not all files are copied (getting an error message saying the file is in use). An example, out of 50 photos copied over to CIFS only 5 to 10 get copied.

Best regards,
Luis

stefanb

Patron
I think you should fulfill the minimum hardware requirements.
8GB RAM is minimum. 2GB is poor - results often in strange faults.

S.

Erwin

Dabbler
...when copying over folders from my Mac onto the CIFS share I noticed the folder appears faded and I am unable to access its contents. When copying over the files directly onto the folders created on CIFS, not all files are copied (getting an error message saying the file is in use). An example, out of 50 photos copied over to CIFS only 5 to 10 get copied.

Hi Luis,

First of all, it was a good advice to stay with ONE protocol for sharing a specific NAS ressource. You will get ongoing problems in the case that clients can access a file via both AFP and CIFS. It has to do with file locking.
Faded folders: Have a look on the date: Is it 24 January 1984? ;-)
Just to verify: Try to connect to your freenas via Go to server cifs://freenas-box-name (instead smb://....) Then try to copy again multiple folders in one step.

Cheers

Luis86

Cadet
Hi Erwin,

Thanks for your reply. I tried setting up a single protocol for share on the 1TB hdd resource and have tested the sharing with a windows machine also however with no success. After further investigations I have noticed that my hdd was giving out S.M.A.R.T errors. I wasn't expecting this at all since the hdd was brand new. I later on decide to test out the hdd on a windows machine and the problems seemed to be consistent, I wasn't able to successfully copy files over to it, the hdd needs to go back to the store on warranty since it seems I have had the misfortune of receiving a faulty unit. Thanks again for your advice I will bear this in mind when I will be setting up a new share when my hdd comes back from warranty.

Cheers,
Luis

Erwin

Dabbler
ok, the problem seems to be far below in the physical layer ;)

The good thing with freenas is that you can check the root cause easily with a smartctl -a /dev/ada0 (or whatelse the device name of your disk is). Just look on categories like offline_uncorrectable and reallocated_sector_ct, both should be 0 with a good drive. So a burn-in phase for new hw sometimes makes sense.

good luck
Erwin

Luis86

Cadet
The error I was getting was regarding reallocated_sector_ct. Hopefully with the new disk nothing will pop up. Regarding the memory level I was getting about ~400Mb free memory. Will this suffice for a CIFS share? I will only be copying over image file that are about 60-80mb per file.

Many thanks,
Luis

Status
Not open for further replies.