iSCSI "space threshold"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mleopold

Cadet
hi,

i'm using FreeNAS exclusively for iSCSI and this "space threshold" things keeps spinning in my head.

just to be entirely sure:
the target global "Pool Available Space Threshold (%)" and extent "Available Space Threshold (%)" configurations are referring to the https://doc.freenas.org/9.10/sharing.html#extents recommendation "it is recommended to keep the used space of the pool below 50% when using iSCSI", is that correct?

that means i can use more than 50% of my zpool SIZE for extents volsize, i just have to be sure (and can configure "thresholds") that the pools CAP doesn't exceed 50%, correct?

thx
matthias

Stux

MVP
hi,

i'm using FreeNAS exclusively for iSCSI and this "space threshold" things keeps spinning in my head.

just to be entirely sure:
the target global "Pool Available Space Threshold (%)" and extent "Available Space Threshold (%)" configurations are referring to the https://doc.freenas.org/9.10/sharing.html#extents recommendation "it is recommended to keep the used space of the pool below 50% when using iSCSI", is that correct?

that means i can use more than 50% of my zpool SIZE for extents volsize, i just have to be sure (and can configure "thresholds") that the pools CAP doesn't exceed 50%, correct?

thx
matthias

I believe that's right. The advise is that performance degrades (or the risk of fragmentation increases) above 50% utilization. Also, the first half of HDs is nearly doubly faster than the last half.

So, it's actual sectors used not sectors potentially used.

mleopold

Cadet
I believe that's right. The advise is that performance degrades (or the risk of fragmentation increases) above 50% utilization. Also, the first half of HDs is nearly doubly faster than the last half.

So, it's actual sectors used not sectors potentially used.
thanks, this is what i assumed in the first place and it's the only interpretation that makes sense. it's rather important to me, because i'm relying on this when planning rather large installations + investments, but by know i'm sufficiently sure about it.

thread can be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.