Is ZLE doing anything for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelking

Cadet
Is there any way to see what effect ZLE is having on an iSCSI volume? I have a 3TB ZFS volume that I have mounted to via iSCSI via a Windows Server 2008 iSCSI target. Server 2008 reports 860GB free, but FreeNAS reports 98% used. I'm in the middle of running "sdelete -c -s" on the drive, which should write zeros to all available space. Will ZLE then compress those zeros? If so, where will I see this, either in the web UI or in the CLI?

pixelking

Cadet
Complete silence, eh? So either I've asked the dumbest question ever, or I've stumped everyone. Either way, not good!

JaimieV

Guru
Stumped, not dumb!

My backup NAS has ZLE compression turned on, while the primary does not - can't remember why I thought that was a good idea now, to be honest. Anyway, with 3.1 Tb of random crap, the backup is 2.8Tb disk space used.

According to http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+zfs/faq , 'du' will report actual disk space used rather than the full size of the uncompressed file, but that might be a Solaris thing not BSD...

pixelking

Cadet
Ok, I think I see what you're talking about. I ran
Code:
zfs list -r
and got back 2.64T USED and then I ran
Code:
du-hs /mnt/MyMount
and got back 2.7T, so I guess I'm not getting any compression yet. The sdelete command isn't finished running yet, so after it's done I'll update this post to say whether it's making a difference or not.

Thanks again!

JaimieV

Guru
Confirmed that du on FreeBSD does show the difference - I just du'd two trees on primary and backup, and the backup showed a good 30% reduction.

That was on a nicely compressible data set - documents. You'll see bugger all ZLE compression on movies/images/audio, as they're all directly compressed already.

Status
Not open for further replies.