Is uploading config files a good way to clone FreeNAS installations across multiple machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TremorAcePV

Explorer
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, what is the best way to create nearly identical FreeNAS machines for redundancy and backup purposes?

My plan, without insight into it, would be to simply make 3 hardware identical machines, set up one fully, then import it's config file to the other two and change their IP addresses (along with anything else that would need to change).

Is that acceptable, or is there something else that must be unique to each FreeNAS installation that a config file carries with it?

I can't imagine anything that would be like that, except for maybe encryption keys and things of that nature. Maybe hardware IDs being different would mess things up (i.e. MAC addresses for ethernet ports being different would mess up link aggregation or things of that nature). But I'm not sure.

Has anyone tried something like this? If so, was it successful?

Thanks,
Vitalius

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Install FreeNAS to your USB sticks. Setup one machine how you want it, save the config file, then upload the config file to the other machines. Be careful as if you do static IPs then the second machine will not like it if the first machine is already on the network.

The config file is hardware agnostic compared to Windows. It should work across any compatible hardware.

TremorAcePV

Explorer
That is absolutely great. Thanks a lot for the answer cyberjock. I figured it'd be that easy. One other user on another forum warned me of UUID's when it comes to Linux, but I doubt that will be an issue personally.

Off-topic question: How can I change the tag on my threads to "Solved"? Tried searching around for a guide to doing that, but couldn't find anything. Edit doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.