Is there any way to create directories in the GUI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamgear

Cadet
Say I want to create a shared folder called /share.. How to do I create the underlying directory that I want to share?

I am a 20+ year Samba and Unix expert but I'm trying to get something my less experienced admins can use.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is no way to create directories from the GUI. You have to use the shell. I guess you could maybe consider it "using the GUI" if you use the shell that is built into the GUI. But you would have to be familiar with the appropriate commands.

dreamgear

Cadet
why would you use FreeNAS and not use ZFS? You never mention in the OP if you are using ZFS or not..

Well, I guess I didn't. I did in my other unanswered (but related) question. I didn't think it was worth dedicating that kind of resources for this.. I'm only sharing 50GB at a satellite office, that I can't really justify a separate NAS box for. So stuck a FreeNAS up in a virtual machine. I guess maybe I'll try redoing it with ZFS.. kind of a sledgehammer for a fly, though.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
So you are using FreeNAS in a VM as well? Perhaps FreeNAS isnt the right product for your implementation. One of its strongest features is ZFS, which requires access to the hardware. Running production FreeNAS in a VM is a recipe for disaster if you are not careful.

It sounds like you really just need a simple samba server, which means FreeNAS is over qualified.
Have a look at OMV, because neither FreeNAS nor NAS4Free offer what you are looking for.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So you are using FreeNAS in a VM as well? Perhaps FreeNAS isnt the right product for your implementation. One of its strongest features is ZFS, which requires access to the hardware. Running production FreeNAS in a VM is a recipe for disaster if you are not careful.

It sounds like you really just need a simple samba server, which means FreeNAS is over qualified.
Have a look at OMV, because neither FreeNAS nor NAS4Free offer what you are looking for.

+10000000

dreamgear

Cadet

What do you mean "as well" ? I built a perfectly functional Samba fileserver that does exactly what I want in half an hour at a similar site - it just doesn't have a GUI so that others can administer it.

Making FreeNAS do what I want would take nothing away from it's higher-powered uses. You should take out ufs support if you don't want to support it.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What do you mean "as well" ? I built a perfectly functional Samba fileserver that does exactly what I want in half an hour at a similar site - it just doesn't have a GUI so that others can administer it.

Making FreeNAS do what I want would take nothing away from it's higher-powered uses. You should take out ufs support if you don't want to support it.
Here is a word of advice, since its covered multiple times in these forums:
When creating a new thread and you have an issue, GIVE ALL THE INFORMATION YOU CAN ABOUT YOUR SETUP. This back and forth shit is time-wasting and worthless. Lay out your setup/config, end goal and issue. Every post is you adding some other little tidbit of information that makes this a waste of time.

"as well" meaning, you have issues/requests/questions AND you are doing something completely unsupported, well-documented to be troublesome, and against the recommendations of the pros around here....

As I said, you should check out OMV, as it should do EXACTLY what you want. If you are looking to REQUEST that these features be ADDED to future FreeNAS builds, then you should file it as a bug/feature request, and not complain on the forum about how it doesnt do what YOU want it to do.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Here is a word of advice, since its covered multiple times in these forums:
When creating a new thread and you have an issue, GIVE ALL THE INFORMATION YOU CAN ABOUT YOUR SETUP. This back and forth shit is time-wasting and worthless. Lay out your setup/config, end goal and issue. Every post is you adding some other little tidbit of information that makes this a waste of time.

"as well" meaning, you have issues/requests/questions AND you are doing something completely unsupported, well-documented to be troublesome, and against the recommendations of the pros around here....

As I said, you should check out OMV, as it should do EXACTLY what you want. If you are looking to REQUEST that these features be ADDED to future FreeNAS builds, then you should file it as a bug/feature request, and not complain on the forum about how it doesnt do what YOU want it to do.

I wasn't going to even bother wasting my time with another response, but that sums up this thread perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.