Is there any sort of guide for setting up Nextcloud for Scale

oumpa31

Patron
I've been looking around trying to set up Nextcloud but I seam to be missing something. I have not set up Nextcould before but I am seeing a need for it so I can have a cloud system so my kids and friends can back up there photos. My kids icloud is almost full. I have seen bits and pieces but no complete guide. Is there a dummies guide to setting up Nextcloud that anyone knows of.

ornias

Wizard
It's a ALPHA. No guides exist period, because it's not even close to done yet.

How to setup nextcloud:
Click App, Enter asked information, click install.

Did you try it before asking how to do it? ;-)

oumpa31

Patron
Ya cant get to the interface for some reason. I'll try to install it again quite possible the tower was just having a bad day. lol

stavros-k

Patron
After installation try TRUENASIP:PORT
Portal button might not be working correctly ,redirecting you to wrong ip:port

ornias

Wizard
@StavrosMadK Someone of us really need to port the damn nextcloud app though...
I know we wouldn've have had this portal button issue...

oumpa31

Patron
was able to get in but i go to log in and i get this
1621451484387.png

ornias

Wizard
Thats the crappy software called nextcloud for you....
have fun having that 1 out of 5 installs/updates and apps being disabled 1 out of 3.

beagle

Explorer
(1) Create a Linux VM
(2) Create a NFS share pointing to your data dataset
(3) Install Apache
(4) Install PHP
(5) Install Maria DB
(6) Install Nextcloud
(7) Stop fighting with Apps ;-)

ornias

Wizard
Thats disrespectfull at best for all the people that work their backside of getting them ready for release.
You do realise this is an Alpha right?

In this case, this isn't even a Apps related issue. It's mostly the fact Nextcloud it notoriusly shitty software. PRIMARILY their docker version.

beagle

Explorer
It was suppose to be a joke to lighten up the mood. Please don't take it personally. You guys are doing a great job with TrueCharts.

I just lost count of how many threads are asking the same questions about Docker, Docker Compose, k8s, etc and I think SCALE announcing support for Dockers will continue to create a lot of confusion.

What bothers me the most is that people don't even seem to search the threads for the answer, just create a new thread with the same question that is 2 threads below on the 1st page.

In this case, this isn't even a Apps related issue. It's mostly the fact Nextcloud it notoriusly ****ty software. PRIMARILY their docker version.

One more reason for people to try a different route and install it on a VM. Sometimes I think people lose the perspective that containers may not be the best solution to implement every software. You can shoehorn everything on containers but it doesn't mean it's the best fit.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It's mostly the fact Nextcloud it notoriusly ****ty software.
Come on. We are running large installations on FreeBSD for customers in production. Nextcloud is one of the better products from an old grey operator's point of view. The problem in this forum context is that CORE/SCALE users expect Nextcloud to be a one-click installation, "because plugin" while really it's a three-tier web application that mandates some familiarity with web servers, FPM and, most of all, databases.

Run Nextloud? Congrats, you are a MySQL or MariaDB admin now. All the "problems" people have after upgrades are trivial - if you do this stuff for a living. And insolvable if you don't.

Kind regards,
Patrick

ornias

Wizard
Come on. We are running large installations on FreeBSD for customers in production. Nextcloud is one of the better products from an old grey operator's point of view.
Sorry, but their docker work is absolute SHIT.
Updating? Half of the time it breaks some apps (to be clear: Apps that are compatible with the version updated towards, still disabled without any warning).
Updating the container? Don't expect it to actually log things, in a persistent way.
Errors or mistakes? Dont expect it to revert either.

Not to start with their retarded idea of using a container to download their application, instead of... well having a nextcloud container.

Nextcloud might be great in a VM, but using docker its an absolute shitshow.

Also:
Company full of false promises and mad bussiness practices like paywalling docs that where freely available previously and not maintaining advertised enterprise features like SAML. Sorry, such a company with a mediocre product is not going to get any compliment from me.

Run Nextloud? Congrats, you are a MySQL or MariaDB admin now. All the "problems" people have after upgrades are trivial - if you do this stuff for a living. And insolvable if you don't.

I agree there, most DB issues are relatively trivial if you know what your doing.
That being said: It's the only application I have that managed to butcher it's DB migrations about once every 3 updates.

Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
It was suppose to be a joke to lighten up the mood. Please don't take it personally. You guys are doing a great job with TrueCharts.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :)

I just lost count of how many threads are asking the same questions about Docker, Docker Compose, k8s, etc and I think SCALE announcing support for Dockers will continue to create a lot of confusion.

What bothers me the most is that people don't even seem to search the threads for the answer, just create a new thread with the same question that is 2 threads below on the 1st page.

Yeah, thats also why I am a little shorter on my "lets respond annoyed on this" leash. The mods and iX seem to have decided to start ignoring the "do some research first" rule completely when it comes to SCALE.

One more reason for people to try a different route and install it on a VM. Sometimes I think people lose the perspective that containers may not be the best solution to implement every software. You can shoehorn everything on containers but it doesn't mean it's the best fit.
I think nextcloud in a container should be fine, but it's not as great as a VM, yes...

stavros-k

Patron
@StavrosMadK Someone of us really need to port the damn nextcloud app though...
I know we wouldn've have had this portal button issue...
Maybe for 21.08...

Yes NC updates in docker(the only i have tried and still use) is kinda bad. But once it runs, it runs. ( i haven't had any problems after update to 19 through 21). But it took a good while to fine tune it.

And from all my running containers in docker (another machine), nextcloud is the single one app that i will port last.