Is there a man page for periodic scripts? (Trying to understand security output)

Status
Not open for further replies.

avpullano

Dabbler
I've been spending some time getting familiar with the FreeNAS periodic outputs. A past post pointed me to some resources about how the BSD periodic program and how to change which scripts. Cool stuff.

Well, now I see a change in my security output, but I can't figure out what it means. I don't want to have to post here every time something new gets reported, but I just can't figure it out on my own. My latest update includes these two outputs, even though I've never even had their titles in past outputs. Part of the first output makes sense - I deleted a jail called "owncloud", so those related files were logged as removed, but the other lines list directories that I haven't touched.

Code:
PandorasNasBox.local changes in mounted filesystems:
--- /var/log/mount.today    2014-01-23 03:01:04.564643061 -0500
+++ /tmp/security.wvowgqbC    2014-01-31 03:01:14.000000000 -0500
@@ -20,13 +20,10 @@
 RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/.warden-template-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-pluginjail /mnt/RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/.warden-template-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-pluginjail zfs    rw,nfsv4acls     0 0
 RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/dlna_1 /mnt/RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/dlna_1 zfs    rw,nfsv4acls     0 0
 RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/minecraft_jail /mnt/RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/minecraft_jail zfs    rw,nfsv4acls     0 0
-RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/owncloud /mnt/RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/owncloud zfs    rw,nfsv4acls     0 0
 RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/syslog /mnt/RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/syslog zfs    rw,nfsv4acls     0 0
 devfs            /dev            devfs    rw,multilabel     0 0
 devfs            /mnt/RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/dlna_1/dev devfs    rw,multilabel     0 0
 devfs            /mnt/RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/minecraft_jail/dev devfs    rw,multilabel     0 0
-devfs            /mnt/RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/owncloud/dev devfs    rw,multilabel     0 0
 linprocfs        /mnt/RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/minecraft_jail/compat/linux/proc linprocfs    rw        0 0
 procfs            /mnt/RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/dlna_1/proc procfs    rw        0 0
 procfs            /mnt/RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/minecraft_jail/proc procfs    rw        0 0
-procfs            /mnt/RAID1Volume/SystemFiles/owncloud/proc procfs    rw        0 0

and

Code:
PandorasNasBox.local kernel log messages:
+++ /tmp/security.j3WsclW1    2014-01-31 03:01:18.000000000 -0500
+epair2a: link state changed to DOWN
+epair2b: link state changed to DOWN
+ifa_del_loopback_route: deletion failed
+Freed UMA keg was not empty (40 items).  Lost 4 pages of memory.
+Freed UMA keg was not empty (336 items).  Lost 2 pages of memory.
+Freed UMA keg was not empty (30 items).  Lost 3 pages of memory.
+Freed UMA keg was not empty (12 items).  Lost 3 pages of memory.
+Freed UMA keg was not empty (30 items).  Lost 3 pages of memory.
+hhook_vnet_uninit: hhook_head type=1, id=1 cleanup required
+hhook_vnet_uninit: hhook_head type=1, id=0 cleanup required

So can anyone help me figure out what these mean and teach me how to figure new reports out on my own? I've figured out that they are output by scripts called 200.chkmounts and 700.kernelmsg from /etc/periodic/security, but I can't find any sort of manual explaining the parts of the output.

D

dlavigne

So can anyone help me figure out what these mean and teach me how to figure new reports out on my own? I've figured out that they are output by scripts called 200.chkmounts and 700.kernelmsg from /etc/periodic/security, but I can't find any sort of manual explaining the parts of the output.

The scripts themselves are just shell scripts, containing a comment on what they check for and the commands which are run. Thus, no man pages as they are considered self-descriptive.

Understanding the output of the scripts (e.g. of the kernel messages) may require an internet search if you see a message you're not familiar with.

avpullano

Dabbler
Ah, that makes sense. So I essentially have to open up the scripts to find out what commands they are calling so I can then look up individual commands. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.