Is there a better way to display storage used/free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TremorAcePV

Explorer
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum.

I was looking at my storage table as such:
FreeNAS-StorageRepresentation.png

I'm not understanding why storage is displayed this way. Is there a better way to view it? I could use reporting to view the graphs, but I want something concise (graphs are unnecessary) that does the same thing.

If it doesn't exist, alright, but any insight as to why storage is shown in such a confusing manner and if I can change it to a more useful format would be great.

To be clear, I find this confusing because:
Total Size = Available Storage + Used Storage for that dataset. Rather than the total size of the VDev.
The percentage for Used uses the dataset Total Size as well, rather than the total size of the VDev that the dataset lives on.

I don't understand why Size is calculated that way.

What I personally would like to see is Total storage left on a VDev (Available gives me that), percentage that a data set uses on the VDev (as opposed to the dataset), and I don't really see the need for the Size column as it's what I don't understand the purpose of.

Thanks,
Vitalius.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Things are *extremely* complex with disk usage. There's no "run a command and get X used and Y free" for a pool or dataset. Things like clones, snapshots, quotas and reservations all totally fubar the traditional thinking with regards to used and free disk space.

Unfortunately there is no 'clean' way to get a solid used and free space because of those things. The only thing you can truly do to alleviate the confusion is to learn a few CLI commands like zfs list, zpool list, and a few others so you can see where data is and isn't and how much is free at various locations. Quotas and reservations can actually result in the amount of "available user space" to be different in 2 different places on the same pool.

Just have to power through it and get learned on it unfortunately.

TremorAcePV

Explorer
Things are *extremely* complex with disk usage. There's no "run a command and get X used and Y free" for a pool or dataset. Things like clones, snapshots, quotas and reservations all totally fubar the traditional thinking with regards to used and free disk space.

Unfortunately there is no 'clean' way to get a solid used and free space because of those things. The only thing you can truly do to alleviate the confusion is to learn a few CLI commands like zfs list, zpool list, and a few others so you can see where data is and isn't and how much is free at various locations. Quotas and reservations can actually result in the amount of "available user space" to be different in 2 different places on the same pool.

Just have to power through it and get learned on it unfortunately.
I figured that would be the answer.

Interestingly, I'm not using any of those things (this is just a media storage device). I also figured that since FreeNAS has direct access to the data, it would be able to see through all that complex mess, or if that complexity wasn't there (in my case, I'm not using those things), it would simplify things.

Oh well. Time to learn more CLI.

Thanks Cyberjock.

sremick

Patron
I can definitely appreciate the frustration and the desire for a cleaner, easier method, considering how much it's stressed to not let usage go above 80% and all the disastrous, unrecoverable things that can happen if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.