Is the the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thomasdk81

Is this the the way to do it?

Hi guys,
I have no spend a lot hours on with my new storage solution should look like.

Hardware:
Intel I3-2100T CPU
Intel DH67CF-B3 H67 Mini-itx MB
8GB ram
2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900RPM SATA/600 (New)
2x 2TB WD20EARS SATA/300 (sits in my Win7 PC)
2x 2TB WD20EARX SATA/600 (New)
1x 60GB SSD OCZ SOLID 3
ADAPTEC 1430SA SATA Controller

I started out with Ubuntu server, but I believe FreeNAS has won my heart :)
The only thing I will miss on FreeNAS is Dropbox, but I get ZFS :D

So the SSD is of no real use with FreeNAS, was my first thoughts, when I saw FreeNAS is going to run of my 4GB USB stick.

But then I stumbled upon ARC, L2ARC and mirroring the zil.

So I was thinking about making 2 volumes with RaidZ giving me 8 TB of data. Splitting the drives, so one of each model is in the 2 volumes.
But the L2ARC and logs on the SSD (no idea how, I am sure I can find some guide somewhere).

My system is going to run FreeNAS+mumble+LAMP(or what the package is called on BSD), maybe some software to manage a CCTV.

There wont be much work for the HDD's but I do run torrents 24/7, so I was thinking about leaving one of the HDD's out of the raid and leave all torrent activity on that.

Does this sound stupid?
How would you do it?

Regards
Thomas

you're reading a lot of stuff about how to tweak ZFS for big behemoths of servers. you have a minnow. the SSD is a waste of money at your level, they only help when you have a hug demand on your server that your hardware cannot keep up with demant. you're capped at gigabit and your drives will give it to you.

I'd do the 4 WD in a raidz2 (not a pair of stripped mirrors) and the 2 seagates in a mirror. use the mirror for your torrents and your webserver, just back up the data to the raidz2 nightly.

T

thomasdk81

Thanks, matthewowen01.
Its hard to see when the advise is targeted a "normal" NAS with 1Gb net or an "Enterprise" solution.

I already got the SSD. I thought I was installing Windows og Ubuntu, when I bought it and got it as a system disk.
If I install FreeNAS on it, it uses all of the space, thats okay. I don't have other uses for the SSD and then I don't have a USB-stick, sticking out at the back of the server :)

T

thomasdk81

I just added the 6x2TB disks to a RaidZ2.
The SSD just sits for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.