Is the ASRock C2750D4I considered safe after 00.30.00 BIOS update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan W. Smtih

Explorer
I've been running a ASRock C2550D4I for a few years with 11 drives in it. Thankfully, I got word to update the BIOS before it ate itself.

I'm about to build a second machine and am considering the newer C2750D4I. (I like the idea of 12 onboard SATA connections even at the cost of more expensive RAM. Especially since I've had such good luck with the current system.)

It sounds like the 00.30.00 BIOS update takes care of the "ASRock Rack C2750D4I/C2550D4I mass die-off" mentioned in the Hardware Guide.

I can't tell if the "Intel C2000 mass die-off" is something I need to worry about with the C2750D4I. It sounds like it might be, but looking around the net it sounds like there may be fixes.

So, my question: Is the ASRock C2750D4I considered safe now that the new version 00.30.00 BIOS is out?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes. If you're not convinced, disable the watchdog, same as the workaround.

The value of it is rather limited.

Arwen

MVP
Actually, I'd prefer one built after Feburary 2017. It's not clear if the second issue, LPC clock dying, is relevant to the ASRock C2750D4I.
But, with a newly built one, they are supposed to have installed the work around, (additional clock buffer chip?).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not clear if the second issue, LPC clock dying, is relevant to the ASRock C2750D4I.
It seems to be, iXsystems, presumably through ASRock, is replacing boards for that issue as well.

Arwen

MVP
It seems to be, iXsystems, presumably through ASRock, is replacing boards for that issue as well.
Great. Hopefully my FreeNAS Mini will survive, but it's nearing it's 3 year extended warranty period expiration.

But, my comment was for boards purchased from various retailers like Newegg and Amazon. They may have old stock and maybe still selling boards that may not have the LPC fix. The original poster makes no mention of where he will buy his next board.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hopefully my FreeNAS Mini will survive, but it's nearing it's 3 year extended warranty period expiration.
It'd be a shame if someone were to subject the C2750 SoC to abnormal thermal conditions...

Alan W. Smtih

Explorer
Arwen - Yep. I just got the board through Newegg.

My understanding is that if my board turns out to have this issue and craps out at some point, all my data will be safe. And, effectively, all I'll need to do is replace the board to bring everything back up and running. (And I'll have my backup available in the mean time).

This leads to two questions:

1. Do I have the above right, or if the motherboard goes is there some chance it will take the data with it?

2. Do we know if there is a way to identify if the board is old stock or if it has the fix installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.