is plex still not showing the media in FreeNAS 11.1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkflame

Dabbler
So I am still using FreeNAS 9.10 and I upgraded once to 11.0. And when I tried to get Plex to work I couldn't do it. In the Plex plugin it could not find the directory where the media was located.

I know there was an issue you should be able to give in the path but that didn't work for me I searched on this for hours and couldn't get it to work.

Now I am pretty bummed out that I can't get any updates any more so I want to upgrade but I still do not know if that issue is fixed in 11.1. I want to be able to upgrade and keep my Plex jail for the most part. I do not want to lose any info on my jail like the shows I watched and stuff.

PS: I am a big noob so so bear with me please.

Last edited by a moderator:

nojohnny101

Wizard
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your plex plugin install. As per forum rules, please post your full hardware specs and FreeNAS version so we can better assist you.

Also the more information you provide us, the better we can help you. Things such as:

- How did you originally setup/install plex in 9.10?
- How did you update to 11.0? Through the GUI or did you do a fresh install and import your config?
- Did you change anything after you upgraded from 9.10 to 11.0?

Darkflame

Dabbler
thanks for responding
and sorry for the blurry message i tend to do this in wrinting.

i am using a xeon xeon E3 1230v5 on a c236 supermicro board and 16gb of ecc kingston ram
as drives i use 4 3tb wd reds in zfs raid with a single parity drive

as for the OS i installed 9.10 about a 15 months ago and tried to upgrade the train to 11 when there was no 11.1 i dont know exactly when.

when I upgraded the train i lost the ability to find my library so i deleted the plex jail and tried with a fresh jail/plugin install and still could not get it to work.
then i tried making my own jail and not using the plugin and this did also not work plex could not find my library.

So I did a fresh install of 9.10 and everything worked again. but i had to rebuild my library and stuff like what shows and movies are watched is gone then.
and i also am no longer using the plugin i followed a guide to make my own jail and install plex server in there and update it manually and it worked fine until they dropped support on 9.10 :smile:

and my main use of the nas is for plex so right now everything works fine i just cant get any updates. and that bugs me :smile: also the VM software in 11 is something i am interested in.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Hmm, sounds like you been through the ringer.

and my main use of the nas is for plex so right now everything works fine I just can't get any updates.
What does this mean? You can't get any updates? I have my plex installation manually installed through pkg and it is still updating just fine (warden jail, FYI).

So you are on 9.10 right now and it is working fine, but you can't update? Also make sure you google for how to save your "plex database" on FreeNAS. You should back that up next time if you have to destroy and rebuild for any reason, that way when you spin up a new installation, you can just dump that .db file in there and it will have all your existing watch status, play count, etc.

Darkflame

Dabbler
Hmm, sounds like you been through the ringer.

What does this mean? You can't get any updates? I have my plex installation manually installed through pkg and it is still updating just fine (warden jail, FYI).

So you are on 9.10 right now and it is working fine, but you can't update? Also make sure you google for how to save your "plex database" on FreeNAS. You should back that up next time if you have to destroy and rebuild for any reason, that way when you spin up a new installation, you can just dump that .db file in there and it will have all your existing watch status, play count, etc.
\
They told me because its end of life 9.10 i can no longer update the jail for my plex. because the databases are no longer updated.
i dont know if this is true as my understanding is limited. i tried these commands to update my plex server. :

pkg install plexmediaserver-pl

or
pkg update && pkg upgrade

but none gave me the desired result

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
They told me because its end of life 9.10 I can no longer update the jail for my plex.
Who is "they" because that's not true. FreeBSD 11, which FreeNAS 11.0 is based on, is EOL and jails created based on it can no longer get updates. 9.10.2 is based on FreeBSD 10.3 which is still supported.

You can still add your media to a new Plex install. You have to manually type in the file path in the plex GUI.

Darkflame

Dabbler
that is wierd then why cant i seem to update my plex jail

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What error message are you getting when you try to update?

Darkflame

Dabbler
i just did
pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass

and upgraded from Version 1.10.0.4523 to
Version 1.11.1.4760

so i am happy i got it done :) i probably was misinformed.

thankyou for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.