Is My Ram Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcticWolf_11

Dabbler
Hello, new to FreeNAS and I am using an HP DL360e Gen8 with 96GB of ECC ram and I haven't transferred any files yet to it. But I keep getting "channel 2 memory error" every hour, here is the pastebin of the entire thing if it helps https://pastebin.com/43YFcmwL. Is the ECC ram fixing it or is there something wrong with my fresh install of FreeNAS? Did something get corrupted in FreeNAS due to this error and should I reinstall? Right now I am running Memtest86 on channel 2 to test it out. Do I need to change the stick out or will ECC cover me?

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yes, that looks like you have an ECC error. See if there are some diagnostic utilities you can get from HP to run against this unit. It may be able to tell you the exact memory slot. You can also test it by moving the suspect stick to another slot to see if the error follows the memory.
I have had to replaces memory modules before because they started throwing errors and that is one of the advantages of ECC. You can tell when there is an error and do something about it instead of just having a system that randomly crashes.

Stux

MVP
having a system that randomly crashes.

Or silently corrupts data...

Sometimes these issues will go away by simply re-inserting the memory. perhaps blow out the memory slot with canned air too.

Good advice to move the memory and see if the error moves or stays... or goes away.

But whatever happens, resolve this.

ArcticWolf_11

Dabbler
Yes, that looks like you have an ECC error. See if there are some diagnostic utilities you can get from HP to run against this unit. It may be able to tell you the exact memory slot. You can also test it by moving the suspect stick to another slot to see if the error follows the memory.
I have had to replaces memory modules before because they started throwing errors and that is one of the advantages of ECC. You can tell when there is an error and do something about it instead of just having a system that randomly crashes.
Or silently corrupts data...

Sometimes these issues will go away by simply re-inserting the memory. perhaps blow out the memory slot with canned air too.

Good advice to move the memory and see if the error moves or stays... or goes away.

But whatever happens, resolve this.
Alright thanks, so no need to reinstall FreeNAS? Might just be a little paranoid XD

Status
Not open for further replies.