Is it true that thunderbolt 3, 4 devices are not well supported under TrueNAS yet?

Considering to build a NAS with dual NVMe SSD inside and connection to external Thunderbolt 3, 4 as well as USB 3.2 devices. I read somebody saying that there are still issues with thunderbolt. Is this true?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, there are not "issues" with Thunderbolt. It simply isn't supported. You also should not be using USB for attaching storage, please see @Arwen 's article on the topic.

Archebyte

Cadet
Since this is a recent post, I'll ask here rather than create a new post.

I've been looking for a way to get my QNAP NAS TVS1283T3 (thunderbolt 3) running TrueNAS Scale to recognize my Thunderbolt ports. Under QTS I could direct connect Mac & PC to T3 ports which I guess uses Thunderbolt over ethernet to bridge a connection. So far this thread is the closest I've seen to information on it but the posts are quite old. I'm hoping that with recent updates, this might be possible?

So happy to be on TrueNAS vs. QTS, but the only remaining downside is the T3 ports not working. Currently using the 10Gbe ports which work great, but if I could at least double the speed it might be worth the time put in to get the T3 card recognized and working. It's a shame to have the potential just sitting in the box unused!

Anyone have new info on how to proceed with getting T3 card on QNAP NAS running? I'm not a network engineer, but I can follow instructions. :smile:

My specs in signature, and here:
QNAP TVS-1282-T3 - TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.3
32GB RAM; Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz. (4-cores)

2x 1TB M.2 as RAID Z2 Boot
4x 1TB SSD as RAID Z1 (2.5 TB usable)
8x10TB HDD as RAID Z2 (51 TB usable)

Box:
4x Thunderbolt 3 ports (USB-C form factor) (not working yet!!)
2x 10G Base-T ports (works great, including trunking)
External USB backup storage
USB and vijdeo ports work fine
Fans auto-ramp up un-confirmed. Over-heating does not seem to be an issue.