Is it Possible to migrating from nexenta to freenas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boris_lee

Dabbler
Hi everyone,
I'm using Nexenta CE as a Home NAS,build a zpool from 4 disks @RAIDZ1 ,a Zvol on the zpool ,and provided NFS/SMB Shares on this zvol.
for some reasons I now want to migrate this NAS to free nas system,Is it possible to migrate without any data loss(mainly is,keep the zvol and shares)?

thx in advance!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I am not the expert on this, but I think it is impossible.

Nexenta CE-----what were you thinking? :)

toadman

Guru
I think it's probably possible. You'd have to export the pool from Nexenta, boot into FreeNAS, then import the pool. I suspect you may have a problem if the version of your pool is not compatible with FreeNAS. I have no idea what Nexenta uses and/or what version your pool is currently.

I remember reading about people doing this on the forum. If you search a bit I bet you can find some relevant threads discussing this topic.

bollar

Patron
It shouldn't be a problem. I have converted several Solaris / Illumos / Nexenta systems to FreeNAS and haven't had a problem. Some had feature flags enabled, but still migrated okay. The one scenario I haven't tried is migrating an encrypted drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SirMaster

Patron
It really should not be a problem at all. Nexenta uses OpenZFS and even if it's an older version and your pool is v28 rather than v5000, the OpenZFS on FreeNAS also supports v28 pools.

Once you import your pool in FreeNAS you will be able to upgrade it to activate the newer feature flags if you want, but you don't have to.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
OK, well, let's see how it goes. If the OP would try it, and report back in this thread, that would be awesome.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Caveat: Long-term, pools made with FreeNAS are recommended. Mostly due to middleware assumptions. The ZFS code should work fine - so, if you're comfortable with FreeBSD, you can also use vanilla FreeBSD with your "old" pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.