Is it possible to combine boot disk with SLOG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

candlerb

Cadet
Hello,

I'm looking to build a small FreeNAS server (8GB RAM) doing some lightweight VM image storing at home.

I have a 120GB crucial SATA SSD. I can use this to boot from, but it seems a bit of a waste just to use it for this. Is it possible to partition so that part is boot area and part is SLOG?

I did google for this, but couldn't find anything. The installer just wants to take over the whole boot disk.

Thanks,

Brian.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Vaguely possible? Yes. Good idea? No. Especially not on a consumer-grade SATA SSD.

candlerb

Cadet
> Especially not on a consumer-grade SATA SSD

Can you elaborate on that? Is that on reliability or performance grounds?

Reliability-wise, the worst I can see happening is that one transaction group's worth of (synchronous-write) data would be lost, if the SSD failed at the same time as the power cord was pulled. That sounds like a risk I can accept.

Performance-wise, I'd have thought that any SSD would be better than writing the ZIL to the hard drives and then writing the transaction group a second time to the same hard drives, potentially while concurrent read accesses are going on.

The SSD I have to hand is Crucial m550 128GB, which according to this can do 350MB/s sequential write and 75K random IOPS. I could also enlarge the HPA for endurance, and still have plenty of space.

I realise that for maximum performance I could just set "sync=disabled", but then I have to accept a *really* high chance of data loss if the power is pulled.

So is there really no point at all in having a regular SSD as SLOG?

I could also boot from USB flash and use the SSD as dedicated SLOG - but given my experiences with USB flash sticks I'm not inclined to see that as a reliable solution either.

Dice

Wizard
Can you elaborate on that?
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/some-insights-into-slog-zil-with-zfs-on-freenas.13633/

So is there really no point at all in having a regular SSD as SLOG?
Correct. From a data security point of view.
When the pool is on HDDs ex Raidz2 thus io capped, there is a performance argument for using a consumer grade SSD for speed.
As you realize, at that point it makes more sense to use sync=disabled.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is that on reliability or performance grounds?
Both.

Reliability-wise, the worst I can see happening is that one transaction group's worth of (synchronous-write) data would be lost, if the SSD failed at the same time as the power cord was pulled. That sounds like a risk I can accept.
If you're going to take the loss of a TXG or two with a "meh", just turn off sync. Same result, better performance - especially since the SSD has no power loss protection and is pretty much guaranteed to fail in some way when the cord is pulled.

The SSD I have to hand is Crucial m550 128GB,
Same problem, no power loss protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.