Is freeNAS killing my external drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGLemm

Cadet
Hello,

I am new to these forums, and new to FreeNAS, so please understand that I am not 100% knowlegable by any stretch.

I have set up freenas on a small internal harddrive, and formatted an external 1tb seagate drive to UFS for storage. After setting up the volume and shares, I did a reboot and its is saying the drive is degraded. Is the drive shot? Where do I go from here?

Thanks for any and all help.

Stephens

Patron
What does FreeNAS give you in this stuation over just having the server running Windows, Linux or whatever? It's just one shared drive. I only ask because it seems like you're not using any of the features that make FreeNAS great. What version of FreeNAS are you using? How much RAM? I'm not a big fan of using an external drive as a shared network drive. Check out this thread to see if it gives you any ideas. I don't even know if you can run SMART against that external drive, but that's what you need to run. A long test, not a short one. Hopefully you don't have any data on it you can't replace. If so, try copying that data off before you do anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.